Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Key Fob not always working

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Key Fob not always working

I have the two remotes that came with my car from the factory. I changed the batteries in both and resynchronized them at the same time. Both of them work sometimes and other times don't. When they do work, it'll unlock the door on the first push. When they don't work, I can stand right next to the car pushing the button over and over and nothing happens. After 20+ pushes, it'll finally unlock the car. It's the same for popping the hatch, only worse since you have to hit it twice. This really sucks when it's raining out and the car won't open.

So, my question is, does anyone know the fix for this? Do I need a new remote or is it something with the car like the BCM? Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably need to clean it up a bit.

Open up the fob and clean the contact area where the buttons touch the circuit board. A very lightly damp cloth is ideal...maybe just a few drops of water on a tiny little area. Clean the buttons and the board. Also, it wouldn't hurt to wipe the battery contact points.

There was a thread about that not too long ago...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Launching!

This post is old but...I did clean the remote contacts. I used a q-tip and alcohol to clean the black junk off of the board. One of the remotes still won't work but the other worked like new for a few days. Now it's doing the same thing again taking a few pushes to unlock the door. Is there anything else that might be causing this?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Good question. I'm about to buy a new car and the guy said that his FOBs won't work because his factory radio got stolen and the BCM was inside the radio? That doesn't sound right, but whatever. I was hoping to learn other causes for the fobs not to work.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The BCM is NOT in the radio, it's a separate box mounted to the ductwork behind the glovebox.

I am reminded of the blonde joke about the blonde standing in tears beside her car because it wouldn't open with the remote when a good samaritan came up, took her keys, unlocked the door with the key, and handed them back to her.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

^^^lol^^^
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

I have that problem with mine every once in a while but i work in a very dirty enviroment... (polishing aluminum racing wheels) so if i forget to pull them out of my pocket they get alot junk in them. I split the case pull the battery and the button pad wipe it off with alcohol nd put a small dap of di electric grease on the button pad and the battery contacts. the grease keep the connections good nd from debris from getting in there

Quick Reply: Key Fob not always working