Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

radar detectors in Virginia?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about radar detectors...

Whats up... I live in VA and im tryin to get a valentine 1 scanner, but i have been told that they wont ship it to me cause i live in virginia radar detectors are illegal here.... only here... is that true or will they still ship it to you? If they wont ship it is anyone willing to be a residence to ship to out of stat that i can go pick it up at? only the surrounding states of va, i.e. west virginia, north carolina, maryland, maybe even delaware and pennsylvania? I would like to have it before may 26th, so if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Default Radar Detector help...

Whats up... I live in VA and im tryin to get a valentine 1 scanner, but i have been told that they wont ship it to me cause i live in virginia radar detectors are illegal here.... only here... is that true or will they still ship it to you? If they wont ship it is anyone willing to be a residence to ship to out of stat that i can go pick it up at? only the surrounding states of va, i.e. west virginia, north carolina, maryland, maybe even delaware and pennsylvania? I would like to have it before may 26th, so if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the sales dept. at Valentine tell you that they won't ship to VA? I live in VA and have two V1s. My first V1 was purchased while I was living in NC and the other I recently picked up off of eBay. They work great by the way... in other states. I certainly wouldn't use them while driving in VA or DC.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

well i havent officially asked but i have heard from others that they wont sell if you are in va.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Bird give them a call.

Seeing that you live in a state that does not allow dectectors you might want to think about it before you buy it. There is some new Radar dectectors dectectors on the Market that can pick up every dectector on the market. The bell STI is the only one that cant be dected but it $200+ more than the V-1.

But with that said I wont ever get rid of my V-1.

John
Old 04-28-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find what you want, send me a link and a MO, and I will order. Then I need the extra money to ship it to you. I wont charge you for doing this.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb

Dude, if you're in burke, can't you just drive to MD and get one?

Btw, rador dectors are a passive device. They don't emit any signals so there's nothing to detect. The only way you can get in trouble with one is if you're stupid about it. The law also states that if it's in the trunk, it's legal. It just can't be near a power source.

http://www.fairfaxva.gov/automobiles/RadarDetectors.asp

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 04-28-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... I've ordered parts (not a detector) from them with a VA address. Didn't have a problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6

Btw, rador dectors are a passive device. They don't emit any signals so there's nothing to detect.

[/url]
Xtnct00ws6
That is not correct. They emit Signals that can be picked up. Most detectors of today cannot be picked up by the VG-2 the most common Radar detector detector. New tech has come in to the market and can pick up every detector made except the Bell.
http://www.stalkerradar.com/rdd/Stal...-Detector.html
Old 04-29-2006, 05:31 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just get the detector, and if you ever get stopped, unclip it off your sun visor and shove it under the seat.... they aren't gonn search your car for a radar detector.

Or, go a step further, there' is a radar jammar on the market, I can't recall the name of it ir who makes it, but search for that bad oy, they aren't cheap by any means, but probably much more effective.... and if you happen to see a cop doing radar somewhere, stop down the street in a parking lot and just turn it on, and walk away LOL... could have some fun with that.

Edit... here's a website.. I'd start here.........

http://www.radar-laser-jammers.com/
Old 04-29-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Xtnct00ws6
That is not correct. They emit Signals that can be picked up. Most detectors of today cannot be picked up by the VG-2 the most common Radar detector detector. New tech has come in to the market and can pick up every detector made except the Bell.
http://www.stalkerradar.com/rdd/Stal...-Detector.html
I stand corrected. I've never been caught and it's no points on ur license if you are caught. I'm 100% sure of that
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Is the Bell a really great detector? Does it have alot of features that the V-1 has? Im gonna try just ordering it over the internet first if that doesnt work, then ill pm you bear. I will be ordering it when i get my paycheck which is this friday. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Or, go a step further, there' is a radar jammar on the market, I can't recall the name of it ir who makes it, but search for that bad oy, they aren't cheap by any means, but probably much more effective.... and if you happen to see a cop doing radar somewhere, stop down the street in a parking lot and just turn it on, and walk away LOL... could have some fun with that.

Edit... here's a website.. I'd start here.........

http://www.radar-laser-jammers.com/
We've had that discussion before...radar jammers don't work (military excepted). There are two kinds of radar jammers - passive and active. Active radar jammers emit a signal that confuses the radar gun. They are very, very illegal to own or sell under federal law. Passive radar jammers supposedly deflect the incoming signal to prevent a reading on the gun. They just plain don't work. You might as well put balled-up aluminum foil in your wheels (like they used to suggest in the 70s) for all the good they do.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I stand corrected. I've never been caught and it's no points on ur license if you are caught. I'm 100% sure of that
I dont know about that, me, dad, and my uncle in his truck got pulled over like almost 10 years ago in VA because of my uncle's radar detector, dad got the ticket because he was the one driving.

Quick Reply: radar detectors in Virginia?