Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need suggestions on which head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006 | 06:13 PM
Launching!

Default Need suggestions on which head unit...

Ok I have $200 including shipping. What I want has to:
*play Mp3's
*Have an AUX input in the front
*Equalizer built in (which at that price all do I guess)
*At least 180 watts
*A decent LCD display

Remote, removeable/motorized face plate are not important to me. I am not going to build a champion system but I want it to be halfway decent. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-30-2006 | 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

I paid $206 shipped off ebay for a new Kenwood excelon KDC-X790 and this thing is great. 22 watts rms(50x4), it doesn't have a input on the front though, but on the back it does. Has a steering wheel controls input, color full motion graphics, 3 band EQ with 3 fine tune settings within the bass, 3 for fine tuning the mids and 2 for fine tuning the highs. Removable face, tilting motorized face, can change button colors to red or green and main buttons are blue, can change colors of display text to blue, white, red etc.. 5 volt pre outs, 2 regular 1 sub, has full control over hz/size of speakers in car and seperate subwoofer control and level control. 110 signal to noise ratio, supports mp3s perfect, has software for phat noise mp3 media manager and can be voice controlled. Has a built in real time G Tech type meter and can tell you horepower using a built in horsepower calculator and G forces around corners etc.. Has CD text and can display song title, album title etc, had RDS to display titles off the radio.. had downloadable graphics..etc etc etc, even sets the clock if wanted using signals from radio stations. Very high quality cd player with more options than you could believe for the price. Well worth $200 and I don't think there is a better one out for the price. The older Kenwood KCD-X899 can be found for a couple bucks cheaper(is 2005 model) and is 98% the same, the x790 has a more accurate hp calculator and a few tiny upgrades, the x899 has a 4 band eq.

CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
motorized, fold-down faceplate with multicolor fluorescent display
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files)
Graphic Motion Analyzer
Advanced Codec (AC) Drive with Voice Index on Tap gives verbal confirmation of digital music folders and files
System Q EX Sound Control (6 preset tone curves and a 3-band parametric equalizer)
System E's+ Advanced Crossover system
24-bit digital-to-analog converter
satellite radio controls (SIRIUS or XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal)
HD Radio-ready (will control Kenwood's HD Radio tuner)
CD changer controls
controls for an iPod
dual zone audio control
auxiliary input
3 sets of 4-volt preamp outputs
CR-2 tuner
18 FM/6 AM presets
wireless remote
clock
CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
FM sensitivity: 9.3 dBf
Old 05-01-2006 | 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would look into pioneers. I have had great luck with them, they are easy to use and last a long time.
Old 05-01-2006 | 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have a specific recommendation for you but I can offer the following points:

*play Mp3's
- this is a given these days, no issue.

*Have an AUX input in the front
- this single feature kills off 99% of your options. Very few good quality head units have an actual 3.5mm plug on the front face. I would highly recommend considering units with a rear AUX input and running/mounting the plug somewhere else - even in the dash kit if you want it up front. Get over this and your options increase greatly.

*Equalizer built in (which at that price all do I guess)
- 3 bands are most common. You want more than that?

*At least 180 watts
- Pretty much all of the current mainstream h/u's have very similar power output. Some claim higher peaks but if you look at RMS they are almost all within 15-20rms. If you really need h/u power then the only exceptionally strong amps are in the new Panasonics with the digital amp section. Something like 70w/channel peak I think.

*A decent LCD display
- What do you mean by decent? Clearly legible in all light? Or flashy with graphics or images?