Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help!!! Car Won't Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Car Won't Start!!!

hey guys, well after four hours trying to figure out what's wrong with the car, I still have no clue. It's most likely something small. Here's the story...

First off....my car remote had low batteries...

I go to work this morning with no problems...Lock my doors, and set the alarm. I get off of work at 2:00pm, and get in my car... The alarm starts going off, and the security light is blinking. I usually can just put the key in the ignition and turn it off, this didn't work. I turn the alarm off by the remote. I try to put the key in the ignition again, and the alarm goes off again!

So I unplug the battery, wait 5-10 minutes. Reconnect the battery, and the same thing happens over and over again.

I get a new battery for my remote, and finnaly get the alarm from going off. (It honked three times)

I try to start the car, no alarm, but it doesn't start....the security code is still going off. Is it a blown fuse or what? Last time this happened, i just unpluged the battery, reconnected it, and the car started back up.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump...
Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Try cleaning the resistor pellet contacts on your key using a pencil eraser and then some rubbing alcohol. Usually the security indicator light means that the system doesn't recognize the key being used because the resistance doesn't match its programming. This can often be caused by grime on the key contacts increasing the resistance. Dirty contacts inside the ignition cylinder can cause the same problem - a little spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack will fix that.