Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a bit more bass

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old mic or not..call it 155+ or -db through a term labs mic?!! That's still insane for a basic box in a trunk which is what he has basically. It's not some custom ported fiberglass enclosure with 15in RE XXX's or Rockford competition series subs only good for a big subsonic burp. This guy can actually play music at 150+db and get good SQ from his system. That's a cool combination.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 10" alpine type-r sub and it pounds, i also am pushing it with a MA audio 1200 watt amp.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Old mic or not..call it 155+ or -db through a term labs mic?!! That's still insane for a basic box in a trunk which is what he has basically. It's not some custom ported fiberglass enclosure with 15in RE XXX's or Rockford competition series subs only good for a big subsonic burp. This guy can actually play music at 150+db and get good SQ from his system. That's a cool combination.

No doubt, I can tell you all about it. It's subthump.com box. Except I'm pushing 8+v preouts (phoenix gold line driver says 10v now) and a pair of yellow top batteries with a 275amp alternator. The new alternator pushes 14.7v. I could drain both battieres in 20 seconds before using the factory 102a. There's simple not enough power from the factory. We're expecting 155+ on the term labs and no doubt 165 using the old mics. There's a big difference for sure. I'm glad they are using presure sensative devices now. My term labs stuff should be here soon. I had to buy the hptuners software first.
I run 3 sets of kicker ss components for my SQ. The car has full dynomat. The car is really musical and extremely loud. Yes, it's a great combination.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 05-19-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 2 10" jl w7's in a subthump box with 500 watts going to each amd with that small of a box no ports or ne thing i pushed 130 db's! with i bigger box i know i could be pushin more! with no dynomat i dont have ne rattles!
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Launching!

i competed in the 2000-2002 season i think.my W7's slammed hard.160.00 outlaw.i've heard since then the mic's are different and dont read as high.here are a few pics.

current setup(those exsposed wires were removed)

old setup in my old 94 Z

W7
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Warlock!! That is an impressive set up. Don't blame you for the hp tuners software...I'm actually in need of a tune very soon. Gotta come up with some more cheez. You should acheive those numbers easy with that much voltage!! Hey WeaponZ, how did you like the Directed amps?! I've heard great things about them but never heard one personally. I might go that route as they make a 5 channel I was curious about. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Hi Warlock!! That is an impressive set up. Don't blame you for the hp tuners software...I'm actually in need of a tune very soon. Gotta come up with some more cheez. You should acheive those numbers easy with that much voltage!! Hey WeaponZ, how did you like the Directed amps?! I've heard great things about them but never heard one personally. I might go that route as they make a 5 channel I was curious about. Thanks for the info guys.
It's an expensive hobbie. More like addictive. Just like more power.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DougsfastZ
I'm going to order the subthump enclosure with an amp rack to mount my amp and move my stock CD changer. What is a decent sub and amp combo for this setup, 10" of course. All the threads I see is people looking for sick bass and power, but I'm looking for something more middle of the road. I know I need a class D amp, but wanted some opinions on a sub and amp that would go together and sound decent.

Thanks,

Doug D
MTX, JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, are what you are looking for. I have had experience with the MTX 8000 and loved them. If you are looking for sound quality then go with some Infinity Kappa subs, or JL Audio. If you are looking to wake the neighborhood then go MTX, Rockford or even JL. I would start with JL Audio, and by the I see, it apperars you want something thats not gonna wake the dead, so I would 200-300 watt rms sub range. I ran 2 12 inch MTX 8000 with a MTX 6500D and lightning cap and was hitting over 800 watts, and being in the back of a Camaro it sounded like I was pushing 4 12's.
So if you have a f-body its gonna be loud. On Amps I say MTX all the way, but also check out some of Rockford Fosgates!