Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security light causes car to not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Security light causes car to not start

2000Trans Am A4 factory alarm

ok the security light stays on and the car wont start, i have to wait 4-5 minutes to start the car everytime i shut it off. I have to tunr the key and then turn it off then wait 4-5 minutes for the light to turn off. then the car will start. I thoguht it was the battery so i got a new battery, started up great the first time, then it started doing it again, i thoguht it might be the key, so i used the spare key i have and it did it too. I was told that it might be the ignition modual, or ignition tumbler?? any help on this would be great. Thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The security light is triggered by the VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) that checks for the correct key by testing the resistance in the pellet in the key. Often the problem is caused by grime on the key contacts or the contacts in the ignition cylinder. Since you've already tried a different key it's probably in the cylinder. Get some spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack and spray it in the key slot. Work your key in and out several times then wait for it to dry (just a couple of minutes). That might solve the problem. While you're at it, clean the contacts on your keys with a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol or the same contact cleaner.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks im gogin ot try that to start off with , i got the answer that i was looking for from a few others in the PCM section
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same problem, only I thought it was the fuse and stuff. I have noticed the light staying solid red before I turn the key all the way. Im going to try the cleaning the keys thing.

UPDATE: Well, I bought the car from a dealer, drove it home (900 miles) without a hitch. The next day, the above starts happening. I pop the fuse blocks out from under the hood and BLAM! electrical tape, splices, you name it, it's there. This HAS to be causing the VATS system to not be able to read the car, it only has 45,000 miles on it so I would assume the tumbler wires are fine, maybe not. I'm pretty pissed, but the guy I bought from acutally answered his cell on a sunday afternoon and called back a couple of times. He said they would figure it out, so I'm impressed so far. I wonder what they will do.. there is a mysterious orange wire spliced into a pink one, probably something to do with the aftermarket cd player..

Last edited by DustinSS; 06-11-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '98 Z did that, I had to replace the ignition switch and the key...