Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

only using 1/3 of gain on amp thinking of adding more speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default only using 1/3 of gain on amp thinking of adding more speakers

I'm only using a fraction of my new amp (gain is set at 1/3) sub connection is brigded but I've been told that I can leave that connection and still use the 2 remaining connections?

so I'm thinking of adding speakers for more mid bass, would like to mount in rear hatch replaceing the little 3" & tweeter cutting the plastic panel and using these http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V8zIAeZ...&display=L#Tab

I've got plently of highs just want mid bass.
also I seam to be blowing up the sail panel speakers & don't want to replace / more GM stuff.

using monsoon / rockfordfosegat punch2 amp/sub

any suggestions
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first, what kind of amp ? 2 channel ? 4 channel ?

2nd, if you want more midbass, you need to either get it from the sail panel speakers, or , preferable, better door speakers.

mounting speakers to those plastic rear hatch panels will not generate any real midbass. for one, you are mounting a speaker to a flimsy plastic panel, and you will loose energy as the speaker tries to move itself on the panel, rather then moving air to make midbass. 2nd, there's no real semi-sealed enclosure behind the speakers there like there would be in the door or sail panels (sail panels are really sealed at all, but atleast the back wave of the speaker would have to go around more metal before being introduced to the listening enviornment.

short answer : for midbass, upgrade door speakers. Rear hatch speakers will only produce mids and highs.

mike
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider someting like the alpine spx-17mb for the sail panel speakers (in addition to a sub).

Sounds very nice with full range front components.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default alpine looks good

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Consider someting like the alpine spx-17mb for the sail panel speakers (in addition to a sub).

Sounds very nice with full range front components.
I will be upgrading the HU so I mite as well upgrade the rest.

I dig you're choice of stuff think I'll get the spx-17mb for mids rated at 75RMS and use my RF 3002 amp rated at 2x75 RMS so I'll now need a sub amp for my nice infinity sub (rated at 350 RMS) should I not concider a 2 channel brigded and just get a mono for the sub or should I get a 4 channel & brigde half of it or should I continue to use the RF for the sub and then get a 4 channel for the spx 17mb & spx 177r separates? (if I do this then I'm thinking I'll be underpowering the door separates?
sorry for asking a stupid ?but should I scrape the RF amp and just get the exact stuff you have?

looks like you went with a 4 channel for the sub & sails then added a smaller amp for the doors.

reason I asking all this is I was told it's OK to cheap out on the sub amp an spend on the mids & separates.

Thanks for any advice