Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub with stock head unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub with stock head unit

I am considering buying a sub hump box with a 250 watt amp from a friend. I would be hooking it up to my stock head unit and I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how it sounds. I dont really want to pull the monsoon so i am deciding on whether or not to buy it, also the amp has a jack that looks like a telephone line would go in it? I have never seen an amp with that but maybe it is something new.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can run the amp/sub combo off the stock headunit. This will work but not real
high quality. The 'phone-cord' plug will be remote control lead for the amp.
Hawk
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

just to clarify the phone jack looking input will be for a remote base ****, not to be confused with the lead for the remote wire, which signals the amp to turn on...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

It works fine and the quality is on par with the rest of the factory system. Is it audiofile grade? No, but definitely acceptable.

Just be sure to tap the signal before the monsoon amp, not at the speakers.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive got my sub hooked up with my stock HU. IMO it sounds decent, alot better than not having a sub, and it is fairy cheap to do.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. It has a 250 watt amp but it is a little small. I remember back in the high school days when everybody had to have a bad *** system they said that what you pay for the amp is usually how many watts it really puts out. I always laughed at that analogy but is this a good amount for a sub like that or does it need more. Also with the remote base lead i was getting confused with the blue wire that operates the antenna and remote for the amp. So with this jack i would basically have a small remote to adjust the bass in a different part of the car?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

I just added a sub and amp to my monsoon system. I ran a step down converter from the monsoon sub speaker wire to the amp.

I have a Sony XM-22 (?) 2 channel amp, mounted on the back of the monsoon amp, and an 8" bazooka tube. Sounds very good.

I need to post picks of it.