Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp question

Hey guys, one of the wires on my right front door speaker is messed up somewhere. If I buy an amp and power my speakers with it, the stock wiring isn't used is it?? I know NOTHING about amps. I'm guessing that the amp gets connected to the H/U in one of the RCA jacks and then wires run from the amp, directly to the speakers- is this pretty much how it works or am I totally off base??
Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, if you're adding an aftermarket amplifier, you would definitely want to run new speaker wires and bypass the stock harness. The wiring adaptor harness for aftermarket head units make it an easier install. But would always be better to run new speaker wire, due to the unconvential way the stock system is configured.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:22 AM
What's a Sticky?

What would be a good amp to run my door speakers and my sail panel speakers? I'm not sure on size, or how many channels I need. Also, would the tweeters on my front speakers be ran directly to the amp as well??
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97MysticZ
What would be a good amp to run my door speakers and my sail panel speakers? I'm not sure on size, or how many channels I need. Also, would the tweeters on my front speakers be ran directly to the amp as well??
You need to decide how much money you want to spend on your system first. Then you can make informed decisions from there. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $800 on an amp and the same goes for speakers. I'm not running any sail panel speakers and my system sounds great as well as being very loud with great sound quality. I also have about $1300 into it as well. I'm running one amp, one 10" sub and one pair of componant door speakers. Choose the right stuff and you wont need to buy multiple subs and speakers and amps.
In short what are your goals? An audio system needs as much thought as engine upgrades.
Also if your talking about just getting an amp and using your existing speakers ... DONT BOTHER! Just fix the wire problem. I have a monsoon amp I'll sell ya as well and all the speakers to go with it.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
What's a Sticky?

I'm not using stock speakers. I have alpines in the doors and I am going to put Audiobahn AMD60Q's in the sail panel. My goal is just for it to sound good, and get rid of my blown sail panel speakers. I was thinking about $100 or $125 for an amp, but I'm unsure of how big it should be, or how many channels I need. No subs or anything, just powering my front door speakers (i don't know if tweeters get hooked up too) and my sail panel speakers, thats it.

My door speakers are Alpine SPS-17C2
And here are the Audiobahn AMD60Q's that I am getting for the sails.

Last edited by 97MysticZ; 07-06-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 PM
What's a Sticky?

Like I said, I'm new to amps so I have no idea what to get. I'm guessing I need a four channel amp to power the front door speakers and sails? How does this amp look?

I have another question also, is there any way to turn down how much power is going to certain channels? Because my front speakers can handle like 50 watts RMS each and the Audiobahns I'm gonna get can handle 100 watts RMS each. I don't wanna blow my fronts and leave my sails underpowered.