Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom gauges and A-pillar mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006 | 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Custom gauges and A-pillar mounts?

Just doing a little late-night brainstorming for my WS6, and I want the interior to look like factory original, so... Has anybody on here bothered to have gauges/gauge faces made that match the font/color/etc.. of the factory pieces? And am I the only one who's bothered with those A-pillar mounts that look like afterthougts? Even when they're the right color, the little plastic rivets and all that just bothers me. I guess what I'm looking for is an entire A-pillar that is made for the F-car. Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did find Redline Gauge Works, anybody have any experience with them?
Old 07-12-2006 | 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

The closest gauge around is either the autometer sport comps (v2 look nicer and are brighter) or the stewart warner new style gauges that jegs/summit sell.
You can reface an autometer gauge and make it whatever you want (add a pontiac emblem, etc.) but it can be pretty tricky. A friend of mine did it, the hardest part is getting the trim ring off without damaging it or the lens. Once it's off the lens comes off. On most of their gauges they reset pretty accurately on their own if you pull the needles. Keep track of where it is when you pull it of course, but the calibration in them is much better than stock gauges. From there you can scan the face and import it into a computer program and make your own face style for them. Thats how I made my stock gauge overlays Don't tell though because everyone will start doing this and the overlay companies will cry
Old 07-13-2006 | 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd probably have one hell of a time doing what you described... as in about half-way through I would probably wish I had just bought them, lol. But it is an option I guess. Any other options out there? Are there companies that do this kind of thing? like I said, I found Redline, are there any others? Any experience with them at all?

And about the A-pillars, how big is the drivers side A-pillar? like how far does it reach back? I'm thinking I could have one made from fiberglass as long as its not a huge piece... opinions?
Old 07-15-2006 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump...
Old 07-16-2006 | 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about all you fiberglass-gods. How difficult would it be to have an A-pillar made with two or three gauge pods that looked factory and would still be sturdy? I don't konw jack about 'glass...