Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity Speakers/Monsoon Amp

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Speakers/Monsoon Amp

I've done many searches on the site and plowed through several threads looking for the answer to my question and haven't found it yet.

I have a 99' Z28 vert' (came with Monsoon system) in which I have replaced the Monsoon HU with a Kenwood. Easy to do and works great.

Based upon some reading that I did here, I have bought new a pair of Infinity Kappa 62.7 speakers that I intended to install in the sail panels and a new pair of Infinity 652.7 speakers that I intended to install in the front doors. (Not a typo, 1 pair is 62.7; the other is 652.7).

I have a convertible and based upon the GM Tech manual that I have and my eyes looking at wires going into and coming out of the Monsoon amp, my Monsoon amp drives ALL of my 4 speakers and the Monsoon amp provides a crossover for each of the 4 speakers to provide 2 pair of wires for each speaker with a tweeter using 1 pair and a midrange/woofer on the other pair.

Each of the boxes that the Infinity speakers came in has a pair of external crossovers that are supposed to be used with that set of speakers. In fact the manual warns you not to install the speakers without the crossovers.

My Monsoon amp already has crossovers for each of my speakers AND I have read various threads on this site that suggest that it is OK to install the speakers without the crossovers without fear of blowing them up. (Stuff I have read refers to 62.7 but not 652.7)

I suspect that the Infinity people are being very conservative and I am more interested in real world experiences than an unecessarily careful approach. On the other hand, I don't want to install these speakers and then have them blow up on me in a couple of weeks.

Any comments, experiences, or references will be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think your monsoon amp is going to blow your speakers. i have jl in my doors, and the tweeters haven't blown.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure about 'verts, but in my monsoon, the tweets front and back are powered by the H/U. The Monsoon amp only powers the sail panel speakers, and the door woofers. I used the Kappa 60.7 components in my doors with the Monmsoon amp. I didn't use the supplied crossovers (until I got aftermarket amps) and had no problems at all.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

In verts', the tweeters are driven by the Monsoon amp. I only have 4 speakers whereas coupes have 6 (no hatch speakers for me). In the GM Service manual, there are different schematics for coupes and convertibles.

Thanks for these replies. As indicated, I was looking for comments from people that had ignored the supplied crossovers and were happy with their system.

I'm going to go that way myself.

Thanks again.