Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed

I have a 94 formula with a tape deck and the 10 speaker system. I'm planning on putting in a head unit. My question is will a kenwood 22 watt rms head unit be too powerful for my factory speakers and is it an easy hook up? What all will I need? After this I plan on running a sub and amp at about 400 rms. That won't strain my stock electrical system too much? Any advice you can give me would be helpful. I just need more information about everything before I get in too deep, Thanks,
Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not be too powerful. A Kenwood->Pontiac harness would be nice, but typically, good wire snips/stripper and ideally soldiering iron. . .and soldier.
The electrical can handle it fine.

Duff
Old 07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new HU shouldn't be too much at all and really should improve the sound quite a bit, and unless you've got a weak alternator/battery you should be fine on the amp also. I'm running a Memphis ST1000D on 3 Image Dynamics 10's and have zero probs, amp is 1100w RMS. I'm with Duff on soldering the connections if you've got the time, makes for a cleaner and safer install, although blue butt connectors will work fine. If the tape deck you have is factory make sure you get a install kit for the new HU along with the harness. You can also get an amp install kit for 20-30$ at Wally world.