Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon delco amp???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default monsoon delco amp???

hi i was just wondering if anyone knew how many watts of power the amps for the monsoon systems were putting out???
Old 08-09-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...onsoon+wattage
Old 08-09-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is around 25-30 watts RMS per channel with decent headroom. Each channel is stronger than the built-in amps of most head units, but in the stock layout the amp is actually held back by the head unit feeding it distortion.

It is beneficial to use the monsoon amp with an aftermarket deck and speakers. It can be made (if wired appropriately) to sound much better than a deck amp, even good decks with 15-20 rms. Of course an aftermarket is better, but it still remains the monsoon amp is better than most head unit amps.

I've done it, and if you carry the bi-wiring appropriately to aftermarket speakers it will sound better than just a head unit amp. Most people either don't do the bi-wiring correctly, or would just rather spend the time and money on an aftermarket amp. Amps are so cheap I tend to recommend the same, but if you are simply replacing worn out speakers and a broken head unit, it can be made to sound rather good.