Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub box + dynamat (or something to stop rattling)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 12:27 AM
cy
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub box + dynamat (or something to stop rattling)

I have a thunderform box in the little cave on the left side of the trunk, it has a 10" MTX sub in it. All was good, but then the break light panel started rattling badly. Tonight i opened it up and put some material between the lights and the metal of the car, and it helped some, but i noticed a lot of other stuff on the back end of the car (outside of the car) is rattling. I am guessing i need dynomat (or something of the like). Where can i get it, how much is it, and how hard is it to install? All i want to do is the trunk area right now.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Sub box + dynamat (or something to stop rattling)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cy:
<strong>I have a thunderform box in the little cave on the left side of the trunk, it has a 10" MTX sub in it. All was good, but then the break light panel started rattling badly. Tonight i opened it up and put some material between the lights and the metal of the car, and it helped some, but i noticed a lot of other stuff on the back end of the car (outside of the car) is rattling. I am guessing i need dynomat (or something of the like). Where can i get it, how much is it, and how hard is it to install? All i want to do is the trunk area right now.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go to Lowes Hardware, in the roofing section, and get this stuff called Peel and Seal. It is basically the same as Dynamat at a fraction of the cost. I got 8 rolls of 6" by 25ft for $11- EACH and it is easy to put on. Cut your size and peel the backing off and stick it on. Be sure to rub it in real good so it form fits.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

It has the same basic sound dampening properties as Dynamat it's just a little thinner as far as thickness goes compared the the dynamat extreme. But like I said... for the price, you can do multiple layers for cheaper than the dynamat.

If you're doing just your *whole* trunk area you shouldn't need much more than 2 rolls. I am doing my whole car so that's why I got 8 and that most likely still wont be enough. Also, you can further deaden the car with a layer if insulite foam applied on top of the deadening material.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:57 AM
cy
On The Tree

So that stuff will absorb or deflect all the bass in the trunk? If so i'm all over it.