Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MB Quart Ref vs Infinity Kappa vs Polk Momo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB Quart Ref vs Infinity Kappa vs Polk Momo?

I went to look at some speakers today, and while at Cartoys, I listened to some Infinity Kappas and some Focals. I thought when turned up loud the Focals stayed clearer, were less piercing and had a fuller sound than the Kappas. Furthermore at store prices, the Focals and Kappas are in the same price range, yet I have been unable to find any discounted pricing on the Focals online. The three brands which I found acquirable online at comparable prices are the MB Quart Reference, Infinity Kappa, and Polk MoMo. My question is which speakers can I except the fullest sound from? I even listened to the "Entry Level" Focals and thought there sound was fuller than the Kappa, but I do not know what setting were being used on the crossovers or whether the Kappas being 2 ohms vs the Focal Speakers 4 ohms made any difference in the setup. Also I read the mounting depth for the doors is 2.75"(maybe 2.625") and 3.25" to 3.5" on the sail panels from these threads.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...mounting+depth
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...mounting+depth

Are these numbers correct? I want to make sure I am buying speakers that will fit.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard good things about MB Quart and Infinity components. I used to have Focal components in my car and I loved the sound. Mine were taking nearly twice their rated RMS and were still staying clear at extreamly loud lvl's...for about 2 weeks The tweeters blew after an hour or so of having the system all the way up at a party. I wouldn't base anything off of that though. It was totally my fault. I'm the type that always finds the limit the hard way. The mids are still going strong 3 years later in my truck and I will be getting another set of Focals for the car again once I get done with performace stuff.

As many times as I've changed the speakers in my car I've never measured. Looks like plenty of room to the eye though.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Kappas and I am very pleased with the way they sound.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

i traded my old kappa 6.25's or whatever they were called, for the quarts.. if you rock like i do- then youll love the quality and benefits of the quarts!!! amazing... but $$$!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Which line up are your MB Quarts from?

they have four....

http://www.mbquart.com/en/produkte/car/

the reference line is in the same price category as the Infinity(Kappa) and Polks(MoMo)

But yes I am looking for speakers to listen to rock mostly.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Teching In

I vote for the Polk Momos. I have the MMC 6500s up front and they handle whatever I throw at them. All I can say is that I listened to Focals, Infinity Kappas, and the Momos and loved the sound of the Momos and Focals about equally. Focals were more $$$ so I went with the Polk Momos. They just sound great.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

You will need to listen to each componment set. Everyone's hearing varies, so I can't say which is the better choice What may sound better to you, may not be better to someone else. Bascially, it's a personal preference.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

If you can afford the Focals do it. Otherwise either the Infinity or the Polks are good middle-of-the-road speakers. Quarts are made by Rockford Fosgate now and are NOWHERE near the quality they once were when they were independent.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by howierd42
If you can afford the Focals do it. Otherwise either the Infinity or the Polks are good middle-of-the-road speakers. Quarts are made by Rockford Fosgate now and are NOWHERE near the quality they once were when they were independent.
I don't know that I would assume that. Usually when a company aquires another, they usualy absorb their technology too. I just don't see Fosgate taking a step back. They've been in the audio market too long to do that. Now maybe they didn't do more research to improve the product, but I don't see them taking away from the product that's been known for good SQ.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all MB Quarts have went downhill, they've simply introduced budget lines like everyone else. I believe it is the discus series that is pretty standard stuff.

Higher level MB quarts are still made in Germany and still cost more than standard stuff.

The fact of the matter is that most consumer (mass market) brands have been forced to diversify into lower markets to keep exposure and to stay competetive. It's not to say the entire brand is junk, it just takes more care to pick the correct product rather than relying upon a label.

Quick Reply: MB Quart Ref vs Infinity Kappa vs Polk Momo?