Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new stereo (newbie)

I am looking to get a new H/U for my Formula. I want to keep the stock speakers and amp. Looking for a couple of suggestions out there. I don't want anything to crazy, just want to listen to cd's. Also, if the new stereo comes with a built in equilizer does it matter. I am really a novice with electronics but reading most of the threads they say that just getting a better stereo will make the sound much better. And anyways my monsoon player is on the way out.(Lights are out and I can't tell what time it is anymore.)Also, what is the DIN? And what size do/should I be looking for my 01 Formula?

Last edited by gordonloser; 08-26-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Well, from personal experience i have used alot of kenwoods and pioneers.

Here is me quick "general" breakdown between the two.

Kenwoods:
+
Excellent, Excellent Sound Quality
Good looking faceplate

Pioneer:
+s
Easier interface to learn
Fast loading and reading discs
Nicer looking displays

If your really picky about your sound quality definety go with a kenwood.
But if your just looking for something that sounds better then the stock radio go with a pioneer.

The stock readio is a 1.5 DIN format. Most after market radios are a single DIN in height, so if you buy a single DIN headunit your gonna have to buy an adapter mounting plate.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

So are you saying that I should get a 1.5 DIN to make things easier? I was also looking to get that mounting plate from humount.com but wasn't sure if the mount was for the stock 1.5 DIN or 1 Din H/U.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HUMounts are 1.0 DIN. . .
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenwoods tend to offer a lot of features for the money, and typically include low/mid/high tone controls, which would be sufficient for use in a stock system.

If you are keeping everything else stock (be honest with yourself about this...) then I wouldn't plan on spending more than $150 or so on a head unit. Anything higher than that and your are paying for features and quality levels that really aren't necessary at all.

You sound like a good fit for Crutchfield. Thier pricing includes a dash kit, harness, and antenna adapter, so on lower priced head units they can be fairly competetive. And their customer service is best in class.

Do you want MP3? Because truly CD-only decks cost almost nothing these days.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I have owned a Kenwood and have listened to a lot of friends' Pioneer units (as well as listened to tons of them in stores). I think Pioneer units tend to get the most out of otherwise stock systems. I liked them a lot better than the Kenwood I had.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

So, here is what I'm thinking about installing. New H/U-Pioneer Premier DEH-P580MP, but still debating on the speaker changes. I will be keeping the stock amp so should I still change the front speakers with some Infinity Kappa 62.7's? Will changing fronts be good enough or should I think about changing some rears? And which rears if yes?