Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket security resetting

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket security resetting

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....6&postcount=22
So read this in the FAQ. Will this work for setting aftermarket security as well?

My system is an older python one, installed by the previous owner, and I know nothing about it. To my knowledge, it worked mostly right when I got it. There are 4 buttons- 1 that unlocked and disarmed security, and pressing it again would lock and arm security. One button also is supposed to pop the hatch, but that rarely worked anyway and I don't really care.

However, the first button now only locks the car and arms security, and then disarms security. It won't unlock the car like it's supposed to.

If I try this think I'll have any chance of fixing it? automatic locks work fine from inside
Old 09-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

No, the factory matching procedure won't work for aftermarket remotes. But the problem you're having doesn't indicate a problem with the remote anyway. The button still works (it arms and disarms the alarm) so it's not a transmission/reception problem. It really sounds like a loose connection between the aftermarket alarm brain and the unlock wire at the BCM. I'd have a look under the passenger side of the dash and check that all the connections are tight there.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, the factory matching procedure won't work for aftermarket remotes. But the problem you're having doesn't indicate a problem with the remote anyway. The button still works (it arms and disarms the alarm) so it's not a transmission/reception problem. It really sounds like a loose connection between the aftermarket alarm brain and the unlock wire at the BCM. I'd have a look under the passenger side of the dash and check that all the connections are tight there.
I was thinking it's possible a setting got messed up that made it think it should only disarm instead of unlock as well. But that is possible. I have no idea where to look though.

I don't even know what the BCM is.

Last edited by contemptor; 09-24-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The BCM is the Body Control Module. It handles many of the body related electronic functions such as the courtesy lights, hatch release, keyless entry/alarm system, retained accessory power, etc. It is a black box about the size of a paperback mounted under the dash behind the glovebox.

Because it controls the keyless entry system, most alarm installers find it easier to connect the door lock circuits at the BCM rather than wiring to the door locks themselves. If you take off the knee panel under the glovebox you should see a bunch of extra wires from the aftermarket alarm spliced into the BCM harness. Just check that all those connections are secure.