Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub powered by stock deck?!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub powered by stock deck?!!

Alright so I was at an Autoshow last month and saw a 2001 SS there. It had 2 subwoofers in the back and the stock head unit in. I didnt realize it at first until I thought of it afterwards. Is that even possible!?! I didnt hear the guy playing the subs so I dont know for a fact they were just thrown in there for show or it actually works. Whats the dealio with this?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Yep, he was using something called a Line Out Converter (LOC). It takes input via speaker wires and turns them into RCA's, and then you plug your RCA's into the sub amp like usual.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

hmmm are there any write ups on this? I found one for mustangs (http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm ) but I dont think it will help me to much.

Any comments on doing this setup with the stock head unit?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running one to power my 12 inch and I'm pleased with the results. Mind you Im not an extreme audiophile or anything, I just wanted a bit more bass. The stock monsoon setup is good enough in the other areas for now. Just search around for Monsoon wiring diagrams. You can either wire the LOC to the front/rear output signals. I forget what I wired mine to but the results were great. With my bass turned all the way down I get a stock sounding radio setup with a good amount of bass. I cant crank the bass up all the way because I left the stock subs in and they rattle/flutter if I crank the bass up using the radio equalizer. To compensate I leave the bass at around half way on the equilizer and then I use the bass adjuster that came with my amp to get the desired bass. If i crank that up then its enough bass to rattle panels and give me a headache I'm running an 800 watt amp and a 2000 watt sub that I picked up for a great price. One of my friends says it almost hits as hard as his 3 10s did when he had his camaro.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can run any subs off a stock deck..The amp is what powers the subs not the deck..They make a bypass mod so you can run them with a stock deck..
Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

I ran a LOC for about 2 years to a amp from the stock deck, but I noticed a huge difference when going to a aftermarket. It is a simple install and any car audio shop can do it.