Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit options for my vette...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head unit options for my vette...

Ok so I just picked up my vette. It has a stock tape player because it came with a 12-disc changer.

Now, I was thinking of doing one of 2 things. Replacing the tape deck with the factory cd deck. I assume I can do that right? Should just a direct swap right?

The other option is going with a nice aftermarket piece that plays MP3's. However I want to be able to keep my factory disc changer as well. Also, what head unit would look decent in the vette? I can imagine the mounting kits out there are to nice...I meant it'd look retarded with a small head unit wouldn't it?

So, throw out some options for me guys. I haven't been around the stereo world in a few years so I really don't know what the lastest and greatest is. I obviously don't want to be spending $500 on a head unit either
Old 10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase Now, your options for a new HU's are endless. The problem lies with integrating the stock changer with the new HU. If you purchase a factory CD player, that will not be a problem. Not sure about the Y-Bodies but, the F-Bodies needed a mid 1999-up CD player to control the CD Changer. If you decided to go with an aftermarket HU, the CD changer will be useless. Many years ago, there was an adapter to integrate the factory changers with limited amount of HU's. I believe Whitebird00 has stated that they are no longer in production. Now, if you purchased a MP3 capable HU, you could put a ton of music on 1 disc and never need to switch it. I was in the same situation as you and ended up replacing the HU and purchased a 6 disc changer. The new changers also play MP3's, WMA’s and are much smaller in size. With the mounting kit, go to humount.com and get one for a Corvette. I have one of their kits for my car and it is excellent. I am using an Alpine CDA-9833 /CHA-S634 and could not be happier. I would look at Pioneer (Premier) or 2004-older Alpine’s. I found the 9833 new on eBay and works like a champ.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reponse!

So an A/M HU+factory cd player is a no no eh? **** Time to figure out what I want then.

Obviously the factory cd player would be cheaper.