Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The Monsoon Isn't So Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Default The Monsoon Isn't So Bad

I rented a Mustang on vacation last week. It came with the "Shaker 500" premium audio system. All I can say is that the Monsoon really isn't bad for an OEM sound system. The Mustang system was terrible! The mids were muddy and the lows were so boomy that it was almost impossible to listen to an announcer talking (like during the football game). It had what looked like 8" subs near the bottom of the door with the other elements near the top of the door. The crossover was mistuned so that it was easy to hear the different speaker positions which quickly became annoying. Listening to music with any volume (necessary because of the extremely noisy interior of the convertible) generated all kinds of rattles and buzzing in the door panels.

All-in-all I'd say that GM did far better with the Monsoon than Ford did with this "premium" sound system. I know the Monsoon gets beat up here all the time but, for the average (non-audiophile) listener who wants a little more punch than a standard sound system, it's really quite good.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of those verts as a rental last summer. Car had like 200 miles on it, and I beat the living hell out of it the best I could.

Short of the bass being way too boomy I didn't think it was half bad, and that boomy bass probably fits what most people think sounds good. Gave me a headache, but I it sounds really strong during a short listen - to get people to check that option box.

They are 8"s in the doors and I'd be really happy if my Z had such mountings, I guess mine was new enough that nothing was rattling.

BTW I had a V6 and I couldn't get that sucker to burn out no matter what I tried. The only thing that worked was a going in reverse at 30mph... pop it in nuetral... wait... pop it in drive... wait... then floor it. Hella torque management on those cars.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree to a point. When compared to other American cars "premium" factory system the Monsoon is not so bad. When compared to many foreign car systems like the Dynaudio system in some Volvo's it is not great. When compared to full-on high end car system it blows. But as factory systems go in American cars it holds it's own.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that means we get a choice of having something bad or something terrible still.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

I was surprised at how noisy the interior was even with the top up. I kept checking to see if I had left the quarter windows rolled down because it was so loud when another vehicle passed (and I got passed quite a bit in that V6).

Also, for some reason Hertz bolted a cheesy Hertz-specific Audiovox Sirius plug-and-play tuner to the middle of the dash instead of adding the built-in Sirius option available from Ford. After all, Hertz is a subsidiary of Ford, so why wouldn't they want to showcase Ford product in the best light?

At least with the double DIN dash opening it would be fairly easy to put in a nice replacement with a nav system.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking just replaced factory speakers..sailpanel

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I agree to a point. When compared to other American cars "premium" factory system the Monsoon is not so bad. When compared to many foreign car systems like the Dynaudio system in some Volvo's it is not great. When compared to full-on high end car system it blows. But as factory systems go in American cars it holds it's own.

Just a quick note...this past week i bought the factory replacement speakers ,on the advice of many who are satisfied with the factory monsoon system...i can say that for regular stereo listening ,moderatly loud at times,the new ,p/n sailpanel 9365799,are really nice sounding,i replaced both and am satisfied with the sound...and the price was right from GM parts direct...thanks LS1 TECH staff