Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PIE X3 Aux input problem-CD changer interference

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question PIE X3 Aux input problem-CD changer interference

I have the PIE X3 Auxillary input as seen in the link below. Everything is hooked up and functions largely as intended. However I am having a problem with interference while using the AUX inputs on my XM radio.

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...e/html/X3.html

I have the system set up so that I can plug my XM radio or IPod into the X1 Aux port, and it works, I have sound from both applications. But there is an annoying low frequency buzz/interference. By turning of the XM and IPOD but keeping the system on the AUX1 I discovered that the interference was coming from the CD changer(could hear the CD's being played at very low volume).

How do I eliminate this interference? Has anyone else had similar problems with this setup?

To my knowledge there is no way to use the AUX inputs without a CD in the changer(head unit won't recognize the AUX without).

It's extremely annoying, like having a bad radio frequency if you were playing the XM or IPOD over your FM radio. Tell me there is a solution, I got this system to enjoy easy and clear reception.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I would contact PIE tech support and ask them - you may have a defective unit. If not then you might consider the PIE GM9-AUX which doesn't require the factory changer but has only one auxiliary input source.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fiddled with it today trying different things, checking the ground etc, then I went out to Radio Shack and picked up a -ground loop isolataor- linked below. This took care of the hum. PIE tech said this is a common problem and varies from car to car(even same model). They suggested grounding the RCA cables, but I chose this route for easy install and quality. Works perfect now, no more interference.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search