Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1994 Camaro with Vats/Ignition problem NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 Camaro with Vats/Ignition problem NEED HELP

I have a 1994 Camaro and the other day i was sarting it and the key was very hard to turn lik it was binding....while..(stupid me) forced it to turn over and when it was in the start position it did nothing. Well i figured it was binding inside the lock cylinder...so i tried to replace it...well half way of doing so i realized i didn;t have the right tools...so i ended up getting a new sterring column all together. Well of course the new column has a different lock cylinder in it....so after i install it the key moves freely now...but i don't get anything happening....after further investigation i saw that my ignition switch on the sterring column had a burnt terminal on it...so i replaced the switch and now when i turn the key all my lights come on and does the radio....but the starter never engauges...since the new column was a differently lock cylinder i am sure it has a different vats reading. but I don;t have the security light flash when i try to turn it on.....would the securitiy light flash if it was getting a different voltage from the key????? i am going to go to radio shack tomorrow and get a resistor that matches my old key and stick it in the vats wiring to make it think the right key is in the ignition....for some reason i have a bad feeling it won't work....anybody ever deal with anything like this before?

thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

The steering column and the ignition cylinder have nothing to do with the VATS system. The BCM reads the resistance in the pellet on the ignition key when it's inserted in the ignition switch. The only way the column and ignition cylinder are invloved is by providing the contacts and wires to complete the circuit. Sounds to me more like a wiring problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i wired in a resistor today and it fired up....i didn;t do a very good job soddering some of it together and i am not sure if it will hold up very long..looks kinda weak..but at least i know that was my problem....i have heard you can bypass the whole vats system al together and hopfully i can find time to have that done and not have to worry about my sad sodding/wiring job

thanks for the help

dustin
Old 10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had this same problem but my vats wires broke off inside the cylinder so i cut them under the dash and match the resistance from the chip with a couple resistors.....its been working for about 3-4months now without a problem.....and my security light was on
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you try putting some graphite powder in your lock cylinder? That could have saved you a butt load of time

Quick Reply: 1994 Camaro with Vats/Ignition problem NEED HELP