Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What is causing this issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is causing this issue

I was out driving the car today and stopped to pick up my daughter and walked back out to the car and now it won't start? I waited like 5 - 10 minutes most and suddenly it started. When it would not start it was as though the battery was dead...the clock reset and no lights would come on or any sign that there was power. I thought it was my stealth flasher (starter kill) that was dead so I changed it with a spare I had in the car and nothing. Then put the other back in...looked under the hood checked the battery terminals etc. Nothing seemed amiss, went back and it started right up?

What is the deal? Could it be the ignition switch causing this? If so would it kill the power through out the car? I was thinking starter but then that should not kill all the power to other things in the car?

The battery is an Optima red with just over a year of use on it so it should not be the battery.

Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly a ground problem. Check all the ground cables.
It the system charging when it's running?

Do a lamp test to make sure no dash lights are out.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says it is charging when running, but I am not sure it is because the battery only shows 11.9 volts even after driving/charging for a while.

I went through the battery connections and ground yesterday. I cleaned the + terminal and tightened it back down....voila! the car started first crank. I hope that it was not a coincidence and it is fixed. We will see.

I did buy a new ignition switch (not the key cylinder). I will take it back later, I hope I don't need it.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same problem. No power to anything, gauges dont light up. I wait 5-10 minutes and it starts right up. I'm at a loss. I ripped out the after market alarm that was installed in there before I bought the car. That didn't fix it.

I'm about ready to replace the ignition switch and key cylinder. Let me know if you figure the gremlins out.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Check and make sure no terminals/ grounds are corroded. Make sure that they are all tight, Make sure that there is no rust under your battery tray as the battery must be grounded to the frame. Make sure the battery isnt loose either, cause it sounds like you are looking around the hood for a problem the battery gets moved a little you try to start it again and it works.