Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double Din DVD units

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din DVD units

What needs to be done to fit these into our cars? And which one is the best bang for the buck? I'm looking for one that is capable with Sirius and has a TV Tuner. I've been looking at sonicelectronix.com as they ahve some of the most reasonable prices.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

awesome!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
awesome!

First off, don't be afraid of cutting out a decent amount of plastic from your car. Be prepared to make your on mount. Know how to cut plastic very smoothly, or make a new trim ring. Be prepared for a tight fit, and have very low profile right angle signal wires.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Here's a link to a post of my setup with pics. https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/446353-big-setup-pics-inside-tell-what-you-think.html
Old 10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=dvd+write

this is the only detailed info i have seen...
Old 10-21-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you trim the plastic part enough to sqeeze the new unit in. My buddy went to a shop to have his double din JVC in dash unit installed, and a month later the face jammed and wouldn't open. It turned out the plastic part around it wasn't trimmed enough and wouldn't allow the face to flip open.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Hope this helps, I was doing a lot of research. I got this from a guy who put an 06 vibe h/u in his t/a.

----------------------
Hey , your TA is sweet .

The headunit was a bit of a pita , but yeah , hehehe , it WILL fit just fine . The head unit I used even allowed me to use the radio controls once I figured the right wire to hook up . I was amazed . To make the radio fit I didnt have to relo the hvac unit at all . I just had to cut out that center shelf divider and basically build a new one that sat lower ....basically almost touching the hvac unit . I used sheet ABS plastic and fiberglass resin to make a new shelf . I also had to make new side mounting brackets to line up with the old radio mounting holes . After that , the head unit bolts right in like stock . The actual bezel itself that surrounds the radio and hvac , I did have to rebuild to make the radio opening bigger . In the middle divider I left the portion that surrounds the Hvac alone , and cut away the portion that surrounded the radio and basically just made the divider thinnner . And to further get more height out of the radio opening I made the top wall of the bezel much thinner too . I didnt think id work , but I got the clearence I needed . Look at my pics really good at the bezel , and you see how the top wall and middle divider are are much thinner than on a stock bezel . Heres the rest of the run down .

Head unit - 2003 Vibe in dash 6-disc changer headunit , the same radio is in a toyota matrix , but it is a GM part . This the ONLY car u can get the new style GM double din radios out of . ALL other GM's with this head unit use class2 electronics and are powered by a PCM signal and not 12 volts . You can also use the Vibe Navagation head unit , IF you can find all the components for it . Youd need the antenna , theres 2 modules , the head unit and the navagation DVD .

Radio controls wiring harness - I figured out how to power the radio controls by looking at skematic from a 2003 grand am GT with the monsoon system and radio controls .

Rear plug - from the vibe , just spliced in correct wires .

I also used the 200 watt Vibe monsoon amp .

All and all I loved it . Im not a stereo guy , but I wanted something better than delco head unit in there without spending all kinds of cash .

I dunno if the aftermarket double dins will work or not as Im unsure of the dimensions . I will say though , on the GM head unit , I did have to shave down a portion the face plate on the top and bottom . Not much though , and the bezel totally covers it up .

Tell those guys at that custom shop to grow a set of ***** , lol . This was my first attempt at customizing like the this and I really didnt find it too hard to accomplish .

L8 man
Derek
----------------------------------

Good luck.
Santino.//

Quick Reply: Double Din DVD units