Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XM radio

Just tryin' toget a good idea where to put my xm antenna. I want the best reception possible. Love to get your advice. Btw it's a ws6.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

For best reception you'll want the antenna mounted as high on the car as possible - basically on the roof or near the top of the hatch. It should be mounted as close to parallel to the ground as possible.

I mounted mine at the back of the bar between the t-tops close to the back edge. I ran the cable under the back edge of the bar and through a hole I drilled under the bar then behind the headliner and down the A pillar to the radio. I filled the hole with sealer to prevent any chance of water getting in although it wasn't likely because it is hidden and well protected under the bar.

The current satellite antennas are quite small and hardly noticeable but some people still prefer to have them hidden. Since the signal is not significantly affected by plastics, a good place to hide the antenna is inside the rear spoiler. If you have an SS or WS.6 (or an aftermarket fiberglass hood) you can also put it under the hood or under the defroster vent intake grille along the base of the windshield. This won't work well on standard Camaros or Firebirds because the hood is metal.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mounted mine on top of the rear view mirror using double sided tape then ran the wire down the A pillar. So far its worked great! The signal has no problem running through glass.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to depend too if you have repeaters in your area (I don't) so for best reception without repeaters put it on the t top center bar
Old 11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

T top bar for me also.. but i have Sirius
Old 11-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I have a 2001 SS and I mounted mine under the hood on the radiator support in front of the battery. It works great no drop outs. The signal has no trouble with the fiberglass hood.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 188 Likes on 142 Posts

I mounted my antenna in my hatch.
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm