Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone running a three speaker system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a three speaker system?

Now that i have a single 10 in the rear, the next audio upgrade is another amp, and door speakers, I have no clue what amp/speaker combo to go with, but something budget that will work good.

Would two quality door speakers, A 10 inch woofer, both amped and ran through my alpine deck, produce a great sound? I figure this set up would be pretty light weight, and more than enough for such a small car, but who knows..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

what you should do is get good components for the front, i recommend infinite kappa 62.7I or some good alpines. Then run the rest of your speakers from the headunit, just leave them wired up and add the fronts with the amp, should sound pretty good.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three speaker setup is perfectly doable but I would not skimp on your door speaker setup and the power to them. Head unit power just isn't enough to keep up with a sub imho. Using head unit power with a sub sounds okay, but you don't realize how much midbass / vocal authority is missing until you get some real power to them.

A nice set of components up front, a little bit of dynamat around the driver and shoddy around the panel to keep it from buzzing. Then about 75-100 rms to each front.

A solid 4 channel amp probably makes the most sense for this type of setup, front channels to doors rear channels bridged to sub. THere are 5 million choices for 100x4 amps. Class D for the sub won't be necessary with such modest power levels.

And if you ever decide you want some rear fill then a cheaper set of coaxials driven off the head unit would be enough for fill.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Get a good amp and spend the money on a highend set of components you can get into some focal's or diamond audios around 450-500. A good name brand high power amp that makes lots of clean power. Then get rid of all the other speakers in the car and add a good sub. You will have a system that sounds phenominal for the same amount that you would spend buying a bunch of mediocre stuff to fill all of the stock spots. The sound of the unamplified crap will kill any amount of quality sound you put in the front doors. But this is how I have like my stuff after hearing and working on some nice rides where I work which is at an audio shop here in college station. But the most important thing I tell customers and everybody else is that It has to sound great to you and the hell with everyone else. You are the one listening to it. So put it together the way you want and for the sound you are looking for. The way I mentioned mine above is how I like. But just remember opinions are like ******** everyone has one and they are all different. Good luck w your search.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Right now I have a cheap dual amp powering a 10 in a stealth box I made, so an amp that I could power front channels, and bridge the rear two channels to get rid of the crappy dual amp would be a GREAT thing for me. Other than that my whole stereo system is factory, NON MONSOON, delco, with a Alpine 9847 Head unit.

I'm not looking to spend a **** tone of money, as I'm not looking for a KILLER sound, but what 4 channel amp, and what pair of front's would you guys suggest? Part number wise.. I also don't know much about watts, other than I do know the difference between RMS and Peak, but I have no clue as to how many watts RMS I should look for.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kicker kx 6.75 components in the doors and a kx 600.4 front two channels on the components and bridge the rear two on the sub