Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

security key system

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default security key system

i think that is what gm calls the dam thing anyway it has to do with the key you have and the vehicle wont start until you get it fixed thsi hapend to me about 3 years ago the way the dealer expalined it to me is the car thought i was trying to steal it by starting it with another key. (moron terminoligy *sp)

is there any way to bypass that if it were to fail again?? through wiring it up direct on a switch perhaps??
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The PASS-Key II system is part of the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) which determines if the correct ignition key is inserted by measuring the resistance of the resistor pellet on the key shaft (the black pellet with the metal contacts on both sides). There are 15 different resistance values that can be used and the BCM (Body Control Module) is programmed to match only one of those.

The system is quite reliable and failures are usually caused by something simple like dirty contacts on the key pellet or in the ignition cylinder. In fact, I'll bet the dealer charged you to fix the problem but only cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol then maybe sprayed the ignition cylinder with contact cleaner.

The system can be bypassed - in fact it is necessary to bypass it in order to install a remote starter. Kits are available from most stereo shops or you can do it yourself by shorting the sensor leads with the proper value resistor. However, I wouldn't do it just on the remote chance that it might fail - I'm a firm believer that if it's not broken, don't mess with it. Carry a pencil eraser and you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

ahh that explains a lot. when it got fixed the first time was under warranty and it was the $600 dollar part that got replaced. but i dont remmber waht it was as this was a long time ago. i was wondering if you could bypass it. thanks for all the info