Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod2car question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ipod2car question

Hello everyone

Im looking to buy an ipod2car for my firebird. My car is equipped with that anti theft radio thing. How hard is it to setup up this product through the stock monsoon stereo. My dad is telling me that I will have to go to an electronics store to get it installed. Is he right or wrong?

thanx
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you know what the unlock code is for the radio (if even set) then you'll have no problem. The problem is when people pull the head unit or replace the battery and there is a code set that the owner does not remember or a previous owner set. Look through the stickies....It tells you how to remove the code or check what it is....there is even a proceedure for if you pull the power and there is a code. That requires a phone call though I believe.

The ipod2car connects through the CD changer port I believe. You might not even need to pull the main radio harness out but it sure would be easier if you did.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

You don't say what year your car is or what type of head unit you have. In order to use the iPod2Car adapter your head unit has to be capable of controlling an external CD changer. For F-bodies, all cassette head units and single CD head units from 2000 up had that capability. A few 99 CD head units also worked but you can't tell without taking it apart or just trying it and see if it works. CD head units from most of 99 or earlier will not work.

Installation is very easy - do it yourself. Pry off the trim panel around the radio, remove the three screws with a 7mm socket, pull out the radio, plug in the adapter, then put it all back together. No more than 20 minutes work. You don't even have to unplug the radio harness so you don't have to worry about TheftLock.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

i have a 99 firebird with the monsoon stock system. i has a cassette player though. are you saying i would only work on a headunit tht has a cd player built.

sorry to sound so stupid
Old 12-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by V6Bird4eva
i have a 99 firebird with the monsoon stock system. i has a cassette player though. are you saying i would only work on a headunit tht has a cd player built.

sorry to sound so stupid
Sorry, I should have been more clear. All model years of cassette head units will work with an external CD changer (or auxiliary input adapter). It's only the CD head units where you have to know what year it's from. So the iPod2Car will work fine with your cassette head unit.

Another, less expensive, option is the cassette adapter. A good one will cost under $20 and there is no installation - just plug the cable into the iPod and pop the adapter into your cassette player. The sound isn't quite as good as using the CD changer port (because of the smaller dynamic range of the tape drive) but the difference isn't all that noticeable in a noisy car.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

i saw on the ipod2car website that once you hook up the ipod unit you lose the inability to listen to the radio. this came as a shock to me. Is there a way that i can have both hooked up a the same time. the only reason i listen to the radio is for morning shows
Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by V6Bird4eva
i saw on the ipod2car website that once you hook up the ipod unit you lose the inability to listen to the radio. this came as a shock to me. Is there a way that i can have both hooked up a the same time. the only reason i listen to the radio is for morning shows
No, you lose the ability to listen to the CD changer (if you have one). That's because you're using the CD changer port to plug in the adapter. It will have absolutely no effect on your AM/FM radio.