Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing BOSE stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing BOSE stereo?

I have a 94 Z28 that came stock with the BOSE setup in it. I recently removed the stock BOSE amp/wiring and headunit to replace it with an Alpine headunit. The front speakers are pretty much shot, but the rears are ok. I want to replace every speaker, but not use the factory "sub", but instead have the stealthbox and a single JL W3 sub.
Well my question is, does anyone have a layout or know exactly where each speaker is and the sizing of each for the stock BOSE, because I'd rather replace everything on my own since it's just replacing the speakers. Also, is there anything else that I'd have to remove/modify/replace when changing over from the BOSE.

FWIW, Best Buy installed the headunit and gutted the BOSE stuff out when they did (small control box with a bunch of wires).
Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

****! Nah I don't
Old 12-28-2006, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

All the stock Bose speakers are 6.5" even the sub is just a 6.5". Got mine chilling in the garage.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Out1aw
I have a 94 Z28 that came stock with the BOSE setup in it. I recently removed the stock BOSE amp/wiring and headunit to replace it with an Alpine headunit. The front speakers are pretty much shot, but the rears are ok. I want to replace every speaker, but not use the factory "sub", but instead have the stealthbox and a single JL W3 sub.
Well my question is, does anyone have a layout or know exactly where each speaker is and the sizing of each for the stock BOSE, because I'd rather replace everything on my own since it's just replacing the speakers. Also, is there anything else that I'd have to remove/modify/replace when changing over from the BOSE.

FWIW, Best Buy installed the headunit and gutted the BOSE stuff out when they did (small control box with a bunch of wires).
It sounds to me like Best Buy didn't "gut the Bose stuff" - they just installed an aftermarket head unit along with a Bose wiring adapter (the box with the wires behind the head unit). The Bose system has a special head unit that connects to speakers with individual integrated amps. So, unless they already replaced your speakers, you still have the Bose speakers and amps.

That means you will have to rewire if you want to install different speakers. Bose speakers use floating grounds as well as power and ground for the amp at each speaker. You'll also have to remove the adapter box from the back of the head unit.