Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp and Sub question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp and Sub question

I already have a single BA G210 4 ohm SVC sub, I was running it off of a smaller amp before and it sounded pretty good. (~ 100w RMS I am guessing) I recently picked up a decent amp that is a 2 channel amp with some more power.

My question is this, can I run a single channel of a stereo amp to power the sub I have now without hurting the amp? Just leave the other channel unused? I cannot bridge the amp as this sub will not hold the power.

I am upgrading to a G510 4 ohm DVC so I can bridge the amp and take advantage of the 2 ohm output by wiring the DVC's in parallel. But I need a temporary fix until then.

Thanks for any help, and pardon my inexperienced questions.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sub should handle at least 300WRMS (it's rated value according to Crutchfield), possibly more since it's a small sealed box (assuming you're running it in a stealth box). Small sealed boxes are much less taxing on drivers. Just make sure it's not distorting (either from clipping from the amp or from reaching Xmax)
Old 02-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is rated for 300w RMS, if I bridge the amp it will be around 450w RMS so I cant do that.

My question was will it hurt the amp to run just one channel of a stereo amp for now?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it won't. But use both channels. As long as you don't go into distortion, you'll be safe.