Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Satellite antenna mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Satellite antenna mount

Ok, I was going to steal VIP1's idea and put it under the wing, but I can't seem to find a good route for the wire. So, I'm gonna choose the most popular location -- UNDER THE WINDSHIELD COWL (just right of the metal mesh). Can someone please tell me an easy way to get that wire inside the car? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I know my description was rough:
Originally Posted by VIP1
I don't completely remember (its been a while). I'd have to pull he trim again to check, but its been pretty cold around here lately. I think I just ran the wire along the trim until I found a spot near the other wires (near the top) where I can cross the hinge area and ran down the passenger side sail panel and under the passenger side door sill. I think I used some tape to help hold the wire in place in the hatch.

I don't know if there are any issues with using the home kit.

Here is my install:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
But if you try it, you'll see what I mean.
I went outside (its cold out there and I'm short on time) and snapped a pic of where the wire "jumps" acros the hinge.
http://www.fadingarrow.com/images/XMAntennaWire.jpg
If I remember correctly, the weather stripping there pulls off easily. So I ran the wire across the lip where the weather stripping attaches (leaving slack in the wire), used some tape to hold it there and put the weather stripping back on over the wire. I'll admit that a better way would be to find a way into that rubber boot that is already there and still keep a water tight seel (may need some silicone).

Last edited by VIP1; 02-19-2007 at 03:30 PM.