Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want to put PC in Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to put PC in Camaro

I have a 1998 camaro z28 I wanna put a computer in I have seen some very nice installation with 7 inch touch screens anyone have any guids or anything? I wanna keep all the hvac stuff. and i dont want a flip out. any links or anything cool?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be prepared to pucker up once u see the costs of mini-ATX computer, external audio processor, amps, and somewhere to put the dvd drive..... Not to mention the marglass, body filler, sanding, painting aspect...... ITs lots of work.

Honestly, I'd hate to discourage you, but theres a better , MUCH cheaper route that I would reccomend.

Pioneer just came out with the avic-d3, double din unit, navigation, dvd player, Bluetooth ready, xm or sirius ready, and best of all IPOD VIDEO READY, that means u can buy an adapter and watch music videos, dvds, or listen to countless hours of music.... Just need a nice stereo shop to mold the dash piece. Its alot less hassle than a computer and offers ALOT of function.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

www (dot) mp3car (dot) com
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click here! If you want to see what my thoughts are on the issue...
To put it bluntly: It takes a lot of research, a lot of time, and a pretty good amount of money, but I think the results are well worth the effort.

I used it on 2 cross country drives (with the wife)... She was able to watch movies and surf the web, while I was able to use GPS to cross the country without having to stop and ask for directions!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running a PC for almost a year, but I think I'm going to pull the plug on it. It does take a lot of research and a lot of time. When it starts acting funny it takes even more time to troubleshoot it. It gets me really frustrated.

You also don't need a mini-ATX computer, external audio processor or amps. The PC acts like a source unit, similar to a CD player. You should already have your processors, speakers, amps, etc... If you don't have those then your probably not into sound systems in which a simple and cheap 4 channel amp would suffice.

I put together one pretty cheap with a desktop mobo, AMD 3000+ CPU and dual head vid card. Lots of power combined with little power consumption and ran super cool. A nice touchscreen LCD can run about $300, but a regular cheap LCD will work in a pinch, although the resolution isn't as sharp. You may already have a old PC laying around that would work. You don't really need a fast processor, just one that uses little power/runs cool to get you started.

Just start reading the newbie threads at mp3car. It takes a while, but you'll get it.

I also started a whole thread dedicated to f-bodies.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...-firebird.html

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-28-2007 at 09:52 AM.