Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound setup help (speakers, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound setup help (speakers, etc.)

Hey guys, I'm new to the f-body workings, as I just got my '98 Firebird Form. just under a month ago. I've messed with car stereo stuff some, but by no means am I an expert. I've been doing a lot of research on here, and I have a relatively crazy plan and I'm curious as to whether or not it will work. I have the monsoon sound system, and from what I understand, I have a 200ish Watt amp powering my component 6.5"s in the front (one channel per speaker, each at 2 ohms, we'll call these Channels A and B), my 6.5" subs next to the rear seats (2 of its channels per sub, each at 4 ohms, these will be Channels C, D, E, and F), and the 4" speakers in the back (1 channel per speaker, each at 4 ohms, finally these will be Channels G and H), and then the tweeters in the front and rear are powered by the headunit. In my old car that I'm preparing to get rid of, I have 2 JL 10w0 subs running off an Audiobahn 1801T (1120W mono-channel amp), as well as a set of Pioneer TS-D161R, which are 4 ohm, 6.5" speakers with a mounting depth of 2 3/8". I also have a set of Audiobahn ABC5002 4 ohm 5.25" components with a 1" tweeter, as well as a set of crossovers for them and a 2.4 Farad capacitor laying around. What I'm trying to figure out is if I can put the 6.5" pioneers in place of the 6.5" subs next to the rear seats, and use Channels C and D for those speakers. First off, will those mount in that spot? Then, if I put the Audiobahn Components (using some mounting brackets they came with to get them flush with the 6.5" brackets) in the front and hook them up to the E and F 4 ohm channels, and just cap off the A and B channels, will the speakers receive the proper amounts of wattage? I will also wire in the capacitor and run the crossovers with the components, because the Pioneers have built in external x-overs. I'm probably gonna try and get my hands on a stealthbox for the passenger side and run my 2 subs in the stealthboxes. I realize this setup (if possible) would require plenty of wiring adjustments and laying some new speaker wires, but the main thing I'm trying to figure out is whether or not this setup will work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I followed you correctly...it would sound terrible to have your front channels driven off the rear channels. You would then have sound meant to be "surround" as your main left and right.

But maybe I misunderstood your post?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind... I opened up the rear panels and found 2 kenwood KFC-177s 6.75" coax, so i stuck them up front (didn't notice any sound level/intensity reduction) and then stuck the two pioneers into the rear slots, and wired those using the 4" connection from the rear and powered those 4" using the un-filtered rear tweeter line. basically it all works and sounds really good, but when I get my money for a couple of decent wiring kits, I'm adding the amps, subs, capacitor, etc. I'll post pics soon. oh also, i was experiencing some rattling, so I bought some black, non-adhesive slightly squishy shelf lining from lowes, then cut out a hole for the speaker and mounted that between the speaker and the speaker hole; rattling is completely gone. Just a side note.

Last edited by Resonance2010; 04-02-2007 at 12:45 AM.