Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Board-how do i make one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Board-how do i make one?

how would one go about making a custom led board like for tailights? What do you start with? how do you mount the led itself? how do you wire everything etc etc. I want to make some custom tailights for my trans am and for my BMW But i need to know how to make them lol. Anyone know of any kick *** guides to ehlp a total retard on the subject? or can anyone make one?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

come on u guys got skill ive seen it...help me out!!!! TTT
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, Well First U need some perf board from radioshack, (Thats the only place I have ever found it). Then Purchase some LEDs from ebay, (Cheapest Place your going to find LEDs, buy a crap tone. Never know when youll need some. I have whole tool box of LEDs that are left over from things Ive done.) Next Make the design you want on the perfboard, sodder the LEDs into the board . Here is the tricky part, You will need to know the source voltage (usualyl 14.4), Diode forward voltage, diode forwad current and how many LEDs in you array. Next you'll need to know what resistors you need for your array. Use this calculator http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz is freaking awsome. It takes the guess work out of everything. Next Find some resistors. Now I hate sodering so instread of soddering all the posts to geather I use a tool from radio shack that spins very thin wire around the posts do you dont have to sodder. Then Test and install and BAM brightness!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds simple enough thanks a ton!!!! ill give it a try here in a few weeks and then ill post some pics when im done!!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet ****
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You know LED are only 1 intensity. You will need a certain number for running lights and many more for brake lights. You may want to look at a production car and see how many they use for each. You might have already thought of this, you also run the risk of making lights that are dangerous and illegal.

Brian
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
You know LED are only 1 intensity. You will need a certain number for running lights and many more for brake lights. You may want to look at a production car and see how many they use for each. You might have already thought of this, you also run the risk of making lights that are dangerous and illegal.

Brian

wow.... Ok... Cool...