Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

brake lights wont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights wont work

I have a 01 ws6 and I changed the bulbs, the brake switch by the pedal, and I checked all the fuses. My brake light on my wing work but the other ones dont. They light up when I turn my lights on but dont get brighter when i step on the brakes. I just dont know what to do next. any info will help
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

im having similar problems. my hazards still work and turn signal but not when i hit the brakes. dont know hwat to do next
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by luis_ws6
I have a 01 ws6 and I changed the bulbs, the brake switch by the pedal, and I checked all the fuses. My brake light on my wing work but the other ones dont. They light up when I turn my lights on but dont get brighter when i step on the brakes. I just dont know what to do next. any info will help
Believe it or not, it's probably your turn signal switch in the steering column or some of the wiring to it. The Firebird is different from the Camaro in that it uses the same tail light bulbs for turn signals as it does for brake lights. To do this, the brake light signal is passed through the turn signal switch so that the switch can control whether each side should be on steady (brake) or flashing (turn signal). The center high mounted stop lamp (third brake light) bypasses all that - so it still works.

You can test at the turn signal switch connector. It is a black 11-pin single-row connector attached to the right side of the column under the dash. It has the following wire colors in the order listed: empty, black, light green, black, light blue with white, dark blue with white, brown, purple, yellow, dark green, and light blue. The light blue wire at the end is the brake light power input from the brake switch and the dark green and the yellow wires next to it are the output wires to the tail lights. Test with a multimeter or test light that you have power to the light blue wire when the brake pedal is pressed. If not then the wire is probably broken somewhere. Otherwise, check that you have power at both the yellow and dark green wires when the brake is pressed. If not then the turn signal switch is the problem. Otherwise, there is a problem with the wires from the switch to the tail lights (unlikely since both sides are involved).
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Believe it or not, it's probably your turn signal switch in the steering column or some of the wiring to it. The Firebird is different from the Camaro in that it uses the same tail light bulbs for turn signals as it does for brake lights. To do this, the brake light signal is passed through the turn signal switch so that the switch can control whether each side should be on steady (brake) or flashing (turn signal). The center high mounted stop lamp (third brake light) bypasses all that - so it still works.

You can test at the turn signal switch connector. It is a black 11-pin single-row connector attached to the right side of the column under the dash. It has the following wire colors in the order listed: empty, black, light green, black, light blue with white, dark blue with white, brown, purple, yellow, dark green, and light blue. The light blue wire at the end is the brake light power input from the brake switch and the dark green and the yellow wires next to it are the output wires to the tail lights. Test with a multimeter or test light that you have power to the light blue wire when the brake pedal is pressed. If not then the wire is probably broken somewhere. Otherwise, check that you have power at both the yellow and dark green wires when the brake is pressed. If not then the turn signal switch is the problem. Otherwise, there is a problem with the wires from the switch to the tail lights (unlikely since both sides are involved).

thanks. I really appreciate it. this prblem wasnt serious but it was buggin hell out of me.