Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How about this for an Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How about this for an Idea?

I wonder if this has been thought of and if it could actually be done. A really cool GM feature that has been around a long time and still used on certain vehicals is the GM 'heads up display" What if a guru got a hold of one the old units and could reprogram it to be used for different things like a boost gauge or trans temps or airfuel.HOW THE HELL COOL WOULD THAT BE?

thanks
GONZO
Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Other than the reprogramming, that idea has been discussed several times. There was a thread not too long ago about using an old Oldsmobile HUD and there have been several about the 'Vette HUD. So, it certainly can be done - I just don't know about reprogramming to display other information. The display isn't changeable (i.e. you couldn't change the displayed scale of a gauge) but I suppose you could rig something that would modify the input signal to use a gauge display for a different purpose.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response,I will hit the search
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i was looking at buying the azentech double din radio/cd/dvd/computer for my trans am. the company sent me a link to the sema car show in vegas. in the demonstration from microsoft the guy said if you had a heads up display on your car you could program it to show anything you want in your hud because it's hooked up to your cars ecm.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ShowstoppaTransAm
hey i was looking at buying the azentech double din radio/cd/dvd/computer for my trans am. the company sent me a link to the sema car show in vegas. in the demonstration from microsoft the guy said if you had a heads up display on your car you could program it to show anything you want in your hud because it's hooked up to your cars ecm.
That's probably true but the display is created by an LCD panel that has pre-designed segments - it's not just a fully addressable LCD panel like on a laptop or TV. For example, it will have large numbers in the center that are designed for the speedometer. You could use those large number for another reading as long as it didn't exceed 199 (since the leftmost number doesn't have the segments to display a "2" unless you got it from a car that can go over 200mph).