Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car alarm

my car came with this audiovox remote start. and recently its been going off for no reason at all around the same time at night. no one is touching it, ive checked the camera i have set up, it just randomly goes off for no reason, and i dont have any manuel with the alarm..

any suggestions?

if i posted this twice my bad, the sites messing up
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Is the remote starter also an alarm system or is it the factory alarm going off? The factory shock sensor is known for going bad and causing exactly the symptoms you describe. You can try turning down the sensitivity but often replacing or at least disconnecting the sensor is necessary.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Is the remote starter also an alarm system or is it the factory alarm going off? The factory shock sensor is known for going bad and causing exactly the symptoms you describe. You can try turning down the sensitivity but often replacing or at least disconnecting the sensor is necessary.

not sure, theres a sensor in the trunk though by the spare tire that looks god awfully old, never paid attention to it.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
not sure, theres a sensor in the trunk though by the spare tire that looks god awfully old, never paid attention to it.
That's the factory alarm shock sensor. A good way to tell if it's the factory alarm or an aftermarket one that is going off is whether it is a siren or the stock horns sounding. The factory alarm uses the horns but almost all aftermarket alarms have their own sirens. If the horns are blowing then try disconnecting the factory shock sensor and see if the false alarms stop.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's the factory alarm shock sensor. A good way to tell if it's the factory alarm or an aftermarket one that is going off is whether it is a siren or the stock horns sounding. The factory alarm uses the horns but almost all aftermarket alarms have their own sirens. If the horns are blowing then try disconnecting the factory shock sensor and see if the false alarms stop.

i dont see a seperate horn under the hood though.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
i dont see a seperate horn under the hood though.
Well, if it was installed by a good intaller than that's the way it should be. My alarm has the siren horn hidden under the battery so that it can't be easily disconnected by a would-be thief. The sound will be different for an aftermarket alarm. If it sounds just like the factory horns blowing then chances are it's the factory alarm. If it sounds like a siren or has varying tones then it's an aftermarket alarm.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

hmm, ill look after the rain clears up and get back with you