Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fuel pump kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should finish this up in the next few days. I have one of those gold colored fuse box pins which im going to stick into the IGN fuse slot. Then I will solder a wire to it and then too the relay, the other side of the coil will be grounded.

Ive had trouble soldering to the relays pins(they are a dull gold color), should I use quick connects with wires instead?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Quick connects (i.e. spade terminals) will work fine. In fact, they may be preferable in case you ever need to replace the relay - they are electro-mechanical devices that don't last forever. If you really want a professional looking job, many electronics supply stores sell relay pigtails that have all five wires with terminals in a (semi-) protective plug.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Had a big scare. I got it wired up and when I tried it I heard something fry and afterwards my gauges didnt work. I thought I fried my pcm but I only blew the gauge fuse which happens to be right above where I tapped into in the fuse panel.

Here is exactly how I wired it up, I didnt use any fuses. Where should I use them? Why did the gauge fuse blow?

My switch is only rated at 3amps. The valet switch was closed when I did this.

ps after I get this working ill do a write up so all your help isnt wasted on me

Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

white bird helped me wire my kill switch about a year ago (through PMs). he's very knowledgeable. still works like a charm. a write up would be great, as i wasn't able to find a lot in our archives hence, the PMs to white bird.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You've got the ignition power going to the wrong terminal of the latching relay - it should go to the same terminal as the diode. The idea is that power first comes through the momentary switch to pin 85 to trip the relay. Then power is available on pin 87 (from pin 30 because the relay is closed) and it flows through the diode to pin 85 keeping the relay tripped even though you release the momentary switch.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I got it working. Like you said I switched the 86 to be a ground and put IGN on 85 behind the switch. I cant thank you enough.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump kill switch