Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Wiring in Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Wiring in Z06

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the sound system in my 03 Z06? Wanting to add a subwoofer to it and maybe change out the speakers and such, but wanted to get a look at how its wired before tearing it apart. Any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks!
Justin
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't think a wiring schematic will help you much. It looks like all 03 Corvettes came with Bose systems (I can't find any non-Bose listings). The Bose system in the 'Vette uses a special head unit connected to a remote digital signal processor. The DSP provides active equalization that (supposedly) compensates for such things as window position and the presence of passengers. The door speakers are individually amplified component assemblies with subwoofers that are wired from the DSP in a common-ground configuration. The rear speakers are wired directly to the head unit in the more normal floating-ground configuration. It appears that the rear speakers get a full-range signal so it should be easy to replace them or use a LOC to add a sub in the back. But the rest of the system would appear to be an all-or-nothing proposition. You can replace the head unit, wiring, and front speakers together or else leave them all alone - there doesn't seem to be any way to mix and match.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Thats what I was afraid of. Bose systems are so much more complicating when it comes to replacing/modifying them. You mentioned that the rear speakers are wired in straight through the headunit and not through any Bose amplifiers. How easy would it be to hook up an amplifier to add 2 subwoofers to the mix? Im not an audio guru by any means so im curious to how this works. Thanks for the info by the way!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Pretty easy - all you need is a LOC (line output converter) to convert the speaker-level signals to low-level signal for input to your amp. They're available for just a few bucks at any audio shop or even Radio Shack. Or you can get an amplifier that takes speaker-level input without conversion.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually a line out converter doesnt work cause factory sound processor filters out lows to rear speaekers, so you could tear the front doors open and tap in at the bose subs but honestly the best way to do it is get the pac aoemvet1 it will give u 2 preouts... i use em alot
Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
actually a line out converter doesnt work cause factory sound processor filters out lows to rear speaekers, so you could tear the front doors open and tap in at the bose subs but honestly the best way to do it is get the pac aoemvet1 it will give u 2 preouts... i use em alot
That's handy information to know. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pentavolvo

What exactly is the pac aoemvet1?

Quick Reply: Audio Wiring in Z06