Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003 | 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Some advice please

Well, about 3 of the speakers in my monsoon system blew out so I think I'm going to use it as an excuse to put a new system in the car within the next few weeks. I don't need anything amazing, and as I listen to a range of music I'm trying to set up something pretty versatile. I think the current setup i'm looking at is:

(2) CDT CL-61 components up front
10" JL 10W3-D2 Sub
Driver's side stealth box from subthump (Would this be too hard to build myself?)
Sony CDX-MP70 HU

Now I'm undecided a bit on the head unit. I'm looking for a decent unit in the 2-300 dollar range that would also match the interior lighting of a 98 Trans Am. I hear pretty good things about this sony unit and the backlighting is switchable. I'm still open to suggestions though so if you can recommend something better please do, and explain why.

As far as amps go I'm looking at MTX I think but I'm unsure. I'm assuming a 250x1 or 125x2 bridged would be good for the sub, as it's rated to 250 watts. What about the front speakers? Should I run these off the HU or should I buy a 2 channel amp and run it off of that? How much difference would be made running the speakers off an amp? I believe the speakers peak at 90 watts so would a 100x2 be plenty?
Old 04-30-2003 | 04:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Some advice please

ttt
Old 04-30-2003 | 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 05-01-2003 | 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

If money isn't a huge issue, I would suggest using a 4-channel amp. This would give you essentially two amps in one. If you are interested in MTX (as they manufacture high quality amps at a decent price) I would look into the thunder 684 or 564. either one of these amps would give you two channels for your door speakers, And bridging the rear two channels would give you 250wrms of power for your sub, PLUS the amp has built in crossovers. I really don't recommend running an amp just on the woofer, and the mids/highs off the deck, because the bass will overwhelm the highs, causing you to want to turn it up to hear them, causing distortion, then toasted voice coils in your mids/high speakers. As far as selection of a deck goes, Just get something with the features you want,two sets of RCA outputs, and the looks are up to you.