Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MTX vs. SubThump vs ?? stealth enclosures

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTX vs. SubThump vs ?? stealth enclosures

Is there much of an opinion on the MTX vs. the SubThump stealth enclosures? I know MTX is a bit more expensive, but I want something that is going to mount up nicely, stay put (I auto-x and would rather not have to uninstall my sub for every event), and sound GOOD. If it makes a difference, I'll be mounting up a TC-10 OEM sub in it.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard that the subthump boxes are good stuff, but just keep in mind, if you buy a stealth enclosure that is specifically made for a certain sub, it will probably sound better than if you buy one and slap in your favorite sub.

I personally heard the subthump solobaric L7 setup yesterday, and it was AWESOME!

Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

my subthump is great, and it is really easy to take out if need be
Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Call up Elemental Designs, they have a stealth box that is a very very nice fit. 641-792-2501 or edesignaudio.com
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your gonna have to go with the subthump in this case. With a sub like the TC-10 your gonna need something with better structural rigity than the plastic MTX enclosure. Keep in mind, the sub that came originally in those is a very small sub...small magnet, basket, etc. I have had the MTX with a Clarion SVC sub, RF HE2, and a JL Audio W3 in it. I think the TC-10 is just too much for the facia. That's a big, heavy sub. The airspace volume and everything else would be the same.
The subthump doesn't fit perfect though. You will need a little patience to get it to seat just right. Once it's in....it's in though. For autocrossing I'd still use a small L bracket or something to hold it.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
For autocrossing I'd still use a small L bracket or something to hold it.
agreed, it is pretty stable but on those tight curves I can see it moving and possibly falling into the t-top hole at high g's
Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I think your gonna have to go with the subthump in this case. With a sub like the TC-10 your gonna need something with better structural rigity than the plastic MTX enclosure. Keep in mind, the sub that came originally in those is a very small sub...small magnet, basket, etc. I have had the MTX with a Clarion SVC sub, RF HE2, and a JL Audio W3 in it. I think the TC-10 is just too much for the facia. That's a big, heavy sub. The airspace volume and everything else would be the same.
Yeah I've been a little worried about how well an enclosure is going to hold this thing (it weighs almost 30 lbs).

The subthump doesn't fit perfect though. You will need a little patience to get it to seat just right. Once it's in....it's in though. For autocrossing I'd still use a small L bracket or something to hold it.
The L Bracket is a really good idea. I'm going to have to look into doing it that way.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
my subthump is great, and it is really easy to take out if need be
When you pull your sub out, what do you do with the wires to keep them from shorting against each other or anything else in the car?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustinID
When you pull your sub out, what do you do with the wires to keep them from shorting against each other or anything else in the car?
Simple and quick - Electrical Tape.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
Call up Elemental Designs, they have a stealth box that is a very very nice fit. 641-792-2501 or edesignaudio.com
since when? Does eD just sell Subthump enclosures with their subs....just like Subthump sells their enclosures with eD's subs?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fredmr39
since when? Does eD just sell Subthump enclosures with their subs....just like Subthump sells their enclosures with eD's subs?
I looked on the website and didn't see it but I'll bet that's exactly what they do for each other. It just makes sense that they would help each other out.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fredmr39
Not at all, we have our own enclosures. It is not on the website yet but the enclosure can be built no problem. We do tons and tons of custom enclosure work. Call the shop and ask for me (Aaron) if you are interested in our stealth box. I will get you taken care of.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

I looked on the website and didn't see it but I'll bet that's exactly what they do for each other. It just makes sense that they would help each other out.
Nope. They would rather waste their time re-inventing the wheel. I saw their attempt on their blog awhile back. Just a bunch of rings glued together Not too special if you ask me. Ours is sealed and painted inside and out. If you want to save weight and have adequate air space, then I would stay away from eD's box-o-rings.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

i have a dual 12" l7 box from subthump have had allthe stuff for about a year and 1/2 still sittin in my closet in the box's :/ its pretty easy to take out and put back in dont think your looking for that much though if interested i would sell it :p
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan33187
i have a dual 12" l7 box from subthump have had allthe stuff for about a year and 1/2 still sittin in my closet in the box's :/ its pretty easy to take out and put back in dont think your looking for that much though if interested i would sell it :p
Ryan,

I sent you a PM.

Originally Posted by John02Hawk
I've heard that the subthump boxes are good stuff, but just keep in mind, if you buy a stealth enclosure that is specifically made for a certain sub, it will probably sound better than if you buy one and slap in your favorite sub.

I personally heard the subthump solobaric L7 setup yesterday, and it was AWESOME!

Here is a picture of a L7 in a subthump box:

Old 07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by megabass
Nope. They would rather waste their time re-inventing the wheel. I saw their attempt on their blog awhile back. Just a bunch of rings glued together Not too special if you ask me. Ours is sealed and painted inside and out. If you want to save weight and have adequate air space, then I would stay away from eD's box-o-rings.
That design actually isn't a bunch of rings. On the upside if it were think about its really quite a smart way to do it.

The whole goal of a box is to have the right internal volume and be strong. When using rings on any of our production boxes it's quite common practice to make them more than .75" thick.

So if you have the same internal volume and a strong enclosure. Why not?

Not only that but calling it a bunch of rings is hardly fair. It uses a chunk of 1/4 circle rings glued together to get the absolute most amount of airspace possible out of the design. So really it gets more volume but the downfall is it takes a lot longer to build and gets quite a bit more complicated.

I'm not aware of another person doing production enclosures going that far to get that extra space out of the design. When we've got guys coming in that want us to squeeze every last thing we can out of it and keep it removable that's exactly what we will do.

There's really no need to dog the design. It's a box with a few tricks to get more airspace that in the end make it a little stronger. I don't think you need to worry about it being sealed. It's not that hard to glue up the seems and clamp it right. All the cuts would take forever but they are all done on a CNC so repeating it isn't that hard.

It's not your typical box but that hardly makes it a poor design. The one big downfall is it takes more time to build it and requires something like a CNC to reproduce it with consistency. I guess it's all kind of a moot point as we only really sell that box to local customers and not online but in the end that trick to get around corners has really improved a lot of box designs. We do that in various Lexus boxes as well.

It's hardly a waste of time when a customer is paying us to give them exactly what they want and want us to get every last bit of space out of it we can. Giving the customer what they want is a good use of time I think
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Also, we can make a the enclosure out of Trupan as well. This will lead to a final enclosure weight that is around 35% lighter and just as rigid. For all my fellow racers who are concerned with weight.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Sorry fellas...didn't mean to cause friction...LOL!! Figured since subthump used the subs you guys got along...wow...I was wrong.
I own 2 subthump enclosures and am quite satisfied with the build quality, design, airspace volume, etc. The fit was just a little off and a little coaxing was needed for a perfect fit. No big deal...extremely nice enclosures...nice price as well!!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

You should also check ProBox as well. They make a very stout f-body enclosure, and the fit is quite good (pics forthcoming)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The elemental designs box is a nice box, it gets my vote