Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help modding my subthump box

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help modding my subthump box

I have a subthump box made for 10"s but i want to put 12"s in it now.

I cut a carboard template to fit my Infinity 12dvq's. Now i am thinking i will cut back the leather with a knife, a bit wider then what my speaker hole will need to be. Then i will use a jig saw to try and cut out a nice circle.

Am i missing anything? Or..is there a better way to do what i want (aside from buying another box)

I am a little worried about the size of the enclosure as well. According to the manual the speaker needs between 0.4 and 1.25 ft^3 (depending on what insert i use). The subthump has 1.1 ft^3. but i guess i need to take away the space used by the sub itself. Not sure what that amount would be. Oh..just found it online. THe basket takes 0.108 ft^3. So..i should have 0.992 ft^3. Basket looks bigger then that to me. Guess it should be ok.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the right idea!! I would definetly score/cut the vinyl prior to cutting the hole as it may bind or wrinkle and then you will have ruined it. That looks really nice with the firebird on it and the raised letters!! Subthump makes a nice product!! Just take your time and I'd leave the cardboard on it as you cut to protect the other vinyl from getting marked by the saw. It may make the saw slide easier as you cut because the vinyl may want to catch the bottom of the saw!! Good luck!!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One down...went very nice. Hole was just a bit too small..just what i wanted. A wee bit of sanding..and it fit nice and snug.

Now for the 2nd one.