Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Door lights?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Last night i was tinkering with my car, and pulled out the dead lightbulbs in my door, and replaced them and they still didnt work... i was confused. I pulled out the ol tester and found out they arnt getting any power what so ever, so i looked in the fuse box and everything seems to be fine. Does anyone have any ideas on whats wrong, were the wires go? Im about to pull both the doors apart and try to find out, but i thought i would get some help first. They both dont work so its odd like theres a fuse thats bad, but there isnt. Any help is appreiciated.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Assuming that your other illumination lights work (instrument panel, switches, etc.), the problem couldn't be a fuse because they all run off the same fuse. The wiring runs from a common splice pack in the instrument panel harness through the big 48-pin connector at the base of the steering column to both doors then back from the doors to the main dash ground stud behind the left kick panel.

We can rule out ground problems if your tester shows no power at the bulb sockets. So you should check the gray wire in the 48-pin connector for power when the parking lights are on. There are two gray wires in that connector - you want the one that has empty pins next to it on both sides (the other gray wire is for the fuel pump and has a black wire on one side and a dark green wire on the other side). From there you just track down the break in the gray wire that is causing the lack of power at the door lamp sockets.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got same problem both sides, i haven't check the bulbs but im pretty sure they are ok .. something else is wrong i will give it a try tomorrow and reply with a fix .. good luck
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info so far, this problem sucks im about to do what whitebird says. Ill let you guys know.