Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp with a small footprint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amp with a small footprint?

Would like it to fit a 6" by 9" verticle panel located behind the back seat wall on my 71 RS.

I track the car occasionally and the stuff I throw in the trunk (tool box, air tank, spares) would damage an amp mounted on the trunk floor, so I'd like to put it on that vertical, out of the way panel. Besides, I'd prefer not to drill holes in the trunk floor.

Only amp I've been able to find on the net is a Legacy LA120. Would fit well, but I've never heard of this brand, have found no reviews, other than people griping about other Legacy amps being excessively optimistic on their ratings.

40 or 50w RMS x 2 channels would do fine, driving into 4 ohm 6x9s, prefer speaker level inputs so I don't have to run RCA cables. My head unit is rated 35w/channel max and it is a bit overwhelmed by the dual side exit exhaust.

I know it's a stretch; TIA for any info.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check in tomorrow and see what I can come up with for you.
I know I have a Sony XPlod that is 250watts that would work for you. $84.00 10 3/8" x 6 7/8"
Legacy 600watt 2 channel for $76.00...12" x 8.25"
These are budget amps but for a set of 6 x 9's they would work!! If you need an amp kit I have those as well starting at $15.00 with all the accessories you need to install the amp.

If you can tell me which model Lanzar, I carry their brand, I can see if I can get it for you and save you a little money.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix Gold has an amp that is 7.9" by 9.3" ... smallest one I've found.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Would 10x8 work? Check out the Alpine PDX amps if it does. www.alpine1.com
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Banned

The one 95Bat is refering to is the Phoenix Gold Ryval series V752 I believe. It's a very nice amp and is a little more money $109.00...but worth it.
The Alpine is a nice amp as well but more than twice the price of anything else mentioned. About $220.00 on ebay and that's the lowest.
I was just trying to stick to a lower end budget since he was refering to Legacy amps which are a budget amp.
Phoenix Gold is way nicer for the money...I may be replacing my RF Power 600.5 with an Octane R9.0 5 channel. They make a nice clean amplifer!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I'll check in tomorrow and see what I can come up with for you.
Thanks, I'd be interested in anything that would work for me. Cost really not an issue, prefer a reliable brand that isn't gaudy. Some of the godawful looking amps people put in their cars... wretched excess... jmo

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
If you can tell me which model Lanzar...
Not sure how this brand popped up in this thread, but if they make a good amp within my footprint restriction, why not.

Here is a pic to give you a better idea of where I want to put it:

There is a bracket for the spare on the left that severely restricts the size. If not for that bracket, I could install an amp up to 9" high and just let the long end overhang to each side of this panel, within reason of course. And I'm hesistant to chop the bracket; damn car became a "classic" when I wasn't paying attention, so I don't want to hack it up too much.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Alpine PDX amps have very small footprints as well as many other smaller amps if your only powering 6x9's. Look at the MTx roadthunder series, they are small and cheap.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

Sorry about the Lanzar brand popping in there! I saw Legacy and confused the two as they are about they same. They are both in the budget realm. For the record though I don't normally preach Sony...I heard that one run 2 12's today at the distributor as they are having a special on that amp, with two 12's, a sealed enclosure and amp kit. That little amp slams for such a small amp. I was surprised. All the sales guys were surprised as well.