Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Watts a good wattage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watts a good wattage?

Since Ive added the dual 12 inchs subs the rest of the stock system sounds even worse then before. I have good bass now but thats about it.

I think I recall someone saying that the stock speakers in the trans am is only like 20 or 50 watts of RMS power. is this true?

I want to chance the stock speakers, but dont want to spend a lot of money. Whats a good RMS level to shop around in? I like my music fairly loud but not deaphening. I listen to hip hop, rap, some rock, and some country.

any help?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Watts a good wattage?

Do you mean what wattage should you get for an amp or for new speakers?

For the amp, the more the better because it means you don't have to push the amp as hard. The lower the gane setting is on the amp, the clearer the sound will be. 50 watts per channel is typically good if not overkill for most people while I would say 20 is on the low end. If you get "too much," just turn the gane (sp?) down on the amp.

For speakers, if your running them off the factory amp, you need something that had a high sensitivity factory. This way they will be able to play loud on the low amount of power that the factory amp puts out. If your running them off an aftermarket amp, this is not that big of a factor as you have more power to work with.

Really I would say if you have not done it yet, change the amp, not the speakers. The factory speakers (like many crappy speakers...) can take a lot of power. Its distortion that kills them (not to mention sounds bad). By having a good sized amp, you will lower the distortion level and be able to run them louder.

Chris
Old 06-08-2003, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Watts a good wattage?

it all depends if you have an aaftermarket head unit. The front speakers are dual voice coils , and they tie into the way back 4" speakers. the ones in the middle are not even highs there basicly a mid bass subwoofer, get a good pair of iinfinitys in the front and the mid and basicly youcan just forget about the back ones, but if yuo want you can uograde those too but the subs will drown them out, get a good head unit and clear highs it will sound mint.

Russ