Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12Volt hardwire question...I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12Volt hardwire question...I need help

I am in the middle of hardwiring my Valentine One radar detector. I have all the wires run where I want them. I ran them down under the steering column cause I heard there was an easily accessible ground screw down there. I found the ground screw, and now I am trying to figure out which of these 10,000 other wires would be a 12V power wire. Are all the wires except the grounds 12 volts? How do I figure out which wire to tap into? Does anyone know of a specific wire that I can tap into under there?

I need help ASAP because the interior is all apart and I want to drive my car tonight.

PLEASE Help if you can.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Old 06-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Default Re: 12Volt hardwire question...I need help

Okay, forget the help. I "punted" and got the right wire. Thing works like a charm.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey man where d you get the V1 and if you don t mind me askin, how much was it, oh and just for future reference which wire did you tap in to for the power?
thanks -matt
Old 06-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Launching!

You can only get the V1 directly from www.valentine1.com There are no dealers. The price is 399.00 including all the wiring stuff. They never go on sale, and no one has them cheaper(in fact no one else even sells them). It is awesome though. When driving, you know exactly where the radar is, and when you've passed it, and how many there are. You just get a feeling that you know more what is out there, as opposed to driving in the dark so to speak.

The wire I tapped into was a thick red wire. It was visible in the opening that is behind the hatch release button under the headlight ****. There is also a ground screw in the opening under the steering column. The thick red wire looked to me to go to the fuse in the fuse box that read "12V 30amp" That's why I tryed it, and whala, it worked. I guess I got lucky. I ran the straight cord (as opposed to the coiled one) up through the A-pillar and under the roof carpeting to where the rearview mirror wire come out. The only thing you see is the wire coming out and connecting to the V1. Looks very stealth, and only took about an hour start to finish.

If you get the V1, good luck with it all.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

thakns man for the wiring tip, i ve seen V1 s on bay for like 250 and up, but i d prolly want to go with a brand new unit, but i might get a used one and send it in for and upgrade, since they can do that, thanks again -matt
Old 06-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Red USUALLY means constant 12v source. Constant 12v to radar detectors USUALLY means dead battery. You really want to tap a KEY-ON 12v source so the valentine powers on and off with the engine.

You should have a pink wire coming off the ignition harness that is key-on 12v, as well as a yellow wire off the radio harness.