Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trash walmart battery???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CETA_TransAm
what about the blue top isnt that a deep charge battery ?
Blue Tops are for 4-door older cars....you know...BOATS......
Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
I'm not going to argue with you. You need to talk to optima, because I've asked every question I could think of about it with their techs. If you have any kind of power, the batteries work totally different. I've posted numerous times on the subject and I know Mike has also. He said the same thing, there's no point, just like the duscussion with caps. This has been beat to death on here and I now understand why Mike no longer responds. Ignorance is bliss my friend.

I guess they make those deep cycle batteries for nothing because they are useless

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/warranty.php

edit: Unless something has changed, the last time I took DC circuits, the load never sees the source power.
I never said deep cycle batteries didn't have any use - they're designed to provide longer power when the car isn't running or to supplement the alternator when it doesn't provide enough output. A regular battery can do this as well but isn't designed to take repeated discharges without sulphation of the plates causing premature failure.

You need to have another look a DC circuits (especially as applied to a car's charging system) because you obviously missed something. The battery in a car is wired in parallel to the rest of the electrical system. It is NOT the primary source of power. Once the car is running, the alternator powers everything in the car directly and maintains the charge in the battery. You can disconnect the battery in a running car and not even notice because the battery is only a secondary source of power (assuming the alternator has enough output for the electrical demand). The battery isn't involved in powering the audio system (regardless of how big it is) unless the alternator can't handle the load. So deep cycle batteries aren't necessary unless your alternator is too small for the load.

And...that warranty page says that the warranty doesn't cover red tops for "Abusice service/Deep cycle applications/Audio". I checked and that mention of audio applies to exactly what I'm saying - if the alternator is allowing the battery to discharge because of the audio system. The mere presence of an audio system (regardless of size) doesn't by itself affect the warranty.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I never said deep cycle batteries didn't have any use - they're designed to provide longer power when the car isn't running or to supplement the alternator when it doesn't provide enough output. A regular battery can do this as well but isn't designed to take repeated discharges without sulphation of the plates causing premature failure.

You need to have another look a DC circuits (especially as applied to a car's charging system) because you obviously missed something. The battery in a car is wired in parallel to the rest of the electrical system. It is NOT the primary source of power. Once the car is running, the alternator powers everything in the car directly and maintains the charge in the battery. You can disconnect the battery in a running car and not even notice because the battery is only a secondary source of power (assuming the alternator has enough output for the electrical demand). The battery isn't involved in powering the audio system (regardless of how big it is) unless the alternator can't handle the load. So deep cycle batteries aren't necessary unless your alternator is too small for the load.

And...that warranty page says that the warranty doesn't cover red tops for "Abusice service/Deep cycle applications/Audio". I checked and that mention of audio applies to exactly what I'm saying - if the alternator is allowing the battery to discharge because of the audio system. The mere presence of an audio system (regardless of size) doesn't by itself affect the warranty.
You can unplug the alternator and same the same thing, that the car runs from the battery and not the alternator. I can tell you never taken a dc circuit class. And once again, i"m not going to argue with you. The warranty is clear as it can get, car audio, says right on it. If your battery fails and you have a red top in there, and the person clearly checks to see if have any aftermarket amps in the car, they won't warranty it. We all know retailers don't check in most cases. Like I said, you need to talk to optima, maybe than can explain it to you better. I'm done, it's clearly a mute point with you.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Let's just agree to disagree. Obviously, when I got my degree in electronics, I didn't have to learn anything about direct current. They must have taught you more when you got that industry installer certificate.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Let's just agree to disagree. Obviously, when I got my degree in electronics, I didn't have to learn anything about direct current. They must have taught you more when you got that industry installer certificate.
Computer Science Besides, an installer has more in the field experience but I'm not one!

Something tells me you think that caps are usefull too?

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 11-04-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

gees, both you two have good information but gosh didn't mean for you two to go back and forth about it...

anyway i tried a battery tender thing that my dad had laying around. it says its on a 12v 1 amp charge. but it has a cigerette lighter plug on the end so i just connected it to the cigerette lighter in front of the e-brake. i guess this would do for a while until i get my optima. how long should i keep it on?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

cheap batteries are cheap batteries. but considering he has virtually no accesories, any battery should hold up or everyone would bring them back. once you completely discharge a normal shitty battery they lose a lot of their capacity, period. they can never return to 100% bc they are damaged inside. also same with the water level, if you let the water level get too low and it is below the cardboard inside, when you refill it, that part that was dry won't work properly ever. i usually trade the batteries in if they go dead, thats what the warranty is for, two years for the middle grade battery at walmart. don't cost you a penny. i have run systems on cheap batteries for years, with amps that pull from 60 to 90 amps and you would be surprised that a new POS battery dont do so bad. also, no extra drains when the car is sitting, i mean a trickle drain over a week can cause a battery to drop down too low to start. especially if the POS battery has already been dead once. Keep in perspective that its cheap and go easy on it and you shouldnt have too many problems