Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bunch of audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bunch of audio questions

I bought some Audiobahn Immortal 12" Subs, about 2000 watts each, and I need to know whether these will work with my Sub-Thump T-Top box without breaking the box, and I need to know what amp I should run, I was thinking a Legacy Predator, which is 4000 watts, and could i replace my 6.5" speakers in the back and the hatch with 6x9" speakers? And If I do need to run dual Alternators or Batteries, where could I find a kit?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The subs you bought should be fine and it would take alot more than a sub to break a 3/4" mdf. The speakers in the hatch are not 6.5" speakers and if they were replacing them with a 6x9" speaker would be a step backward not an upgrade. The hatch speakers are 4" components with a seperate tweeter. Most just disconnect them.
You will not need dual batteries as batteries do not run an audio system with the car running..your alternator does, so upgrading to 2 batteries would not help unless you plan on running your system with the car off. Upgrading your alternator would help. Just upgrade to 200-250amp alternator and this should run your system with no trouble at all. I carry Legacy and several other better quality amps if you want a good deal on a new amp. Just PM me.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 11-10-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Agreed except for the batteries. Batteries help with the car on or off
Old 11-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Restricted User

batteries are for extended playing time with the car off. The more batteries you have, the more of a load you put on the alternator with the car running, and the alternator has to keep them charged.

There was a demonstration performed at the Autosound 2000 laboratories some years back, where I stationaty bike was rigged to an alternator, and they added batteries to show the effect. Basically, with each battery added, it was harder and harder to pedal the bike
Old 11-11-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But with 4000 watts you won't have an alternator that can power the amp and the rest of the stuff in the car. He'd need like a 400 amp alternator. When the alternator can't keep up the battery comes into play. The more reserve battery power you have, the better it is for the amp since it won't be struggling to make power with low voltage from one battery. It is another draw on the alternator, yes, but you gotta get the power from somewhere. It'll come from the alternator (if he can somehow find a 400 amp one or rig up a custom 2 alt setup) or the battery and the battery under the hood can only power so much in addition to the car (when the alternator is in full output trying to power the amp).
Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is all true but the Legacy's 4000watts is theoretical at best. If he's refering to the Legacy LA-2268 the output of this amp is actually 2 x 300watts rms at 4ohms and 2 x 450watts rms at 2ohms...it is not a 1ohm stable amplifier or even 2ohms bridged so I still think he'd be ok. The 4000watts is bridged at 4ohms peak power and is really IMO an ILS (if lightening strikes) rating. Not saying this is not a powerful amp but he should have enough power with an upgraded alternator and a proper installation for 600-900watts rms.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Restricted User

If batteries are powering your system when your alternator can't keep up, then yes, better and more batteries make a louder system. But, if you are pushing your charging system at this level, then your alternator is being driven beyond it's limits, and is only a matter of time before it's cooked anyway. IMO, this is a poor system design.

Now, the reality of this is that very few people have a true 4,000 watt RMS system, and even then, with the dynamics of music, the system will only be drawing that much current if playing test tones. The only amps that I know of that breach the 4000 watt barrier weigh a couple hundred pounds and cost several thousand dollars.