Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

speaker specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaker specs

I’m looking to replace all my monsoon speakers this Christmas and I think I’m going to go with alpine. I just ordered a premier HU. Basically, i need to know the all the specs of what I need. Would four SPS-17C2 6.5’’ two-way speakers and two SPS-10C2 4’’ two-way speakers do it? Also, what are the specs of the amp that I need to replace the monsoon amp? thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Read this first...Monsoon FAQ
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

basically, what i learned from there is that there are 6 speaker mounting locations, 4 of the use 6.5'' speakers and 2 use 4'' speakers. and they are all powered by an 8 channel amp. i'm just confused as to what type of aftermarket speakers to buy... coaxial? component? full-range? 2-way? 3-way? and what amp to get because i cant find an 8 channel aftermarket amp to replace the stock one. sorry if i missed something because i've been trying to figure it out myself but i've just been confusing myself lol
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have complete replacement systems that work with your stock Monsoon or completely replace the Monsoon altogether. This includes speakers, amps, wiring kits, etc. PM me and I can lay out all the options for you if you like!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you're going to replace the amp (which is by no means necessary), you can use whatever speakers fit and sound good to you. An aftermarket amp will have no restrictions on placement of speakers (such as subs in the sail panels) like the factory amp does. There aren't many components that will mount in the factory locations in the doors but CDT makes a nice set. Check with Ian (Kee Audio) - he can set you up with some. You could put coaxials in the doors and in the sail panels as well but then you should consider adding a sub in the back for more bass. In that case, forget about the hatch speakers - they don't really add anything and they move the sound stage too far back.

Now, if you keep the factory amp (it's really not bad), you'll want to put some subs or midbass speakers in the sail panels. CDT makes a good midbass or you can put eD 7kv.2 subs there. Go with the CDT components in the doors and just leave the factory hatch speakers for a little rear fill (no point in spending much money on them).

There are other options...you can take a coaxial such as from Alpine and split the connections so that they are wired as components. Infinity speakers are popular with some but others complain that they are too bright sounding. Always try to listen to them yourself before buying because everyone's taste is different.

It really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for and how much of a budget you have.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, i really appreciate the replies. and Ian pm'd me so hopefully he can help me out.