Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Raptor shift light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vent is the only place, IMO.
keeps the car clean.
shut the vent when you dont need it. cant really see with with it open unless you stare at it.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ That's why I didn't mount it in the vent. Seemed obstructed.

I was gonna mount mine in the vent or in the pillar defroster vent, but it didn't seem like it was going to hit me RIGHT in the face like it would if I mounted it where it is now. I can move it down a little. The mount is pretty strong. Modified the mount it came with to fit the hole for the screw in the dash.

Just took this pics for ya.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For guys who mounted in the defroster vent on the A-pillar, did you tap into the pink wire coming out of the ASR wiring harness (the one right where the radio) is? If so, how did you route all the wiring to the defroster vent? Did you route it up through the A-pillar? Did you remove the A-pillar to make this easier, and if so, how do you take it off? I'm in the middle of doing this with my Harlan shift light.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I've installed shift lights inside the ac/heater vents on multiple occasions. Generally several inches back so the whole vent kinda glows so that it's subtle but visible. It's really pretty easy.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Last edited by Scoggin Dickey; 07-29-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I've installed shift lights inside the vent on multiple occasions. Generally several inches back so the whole vent kinda glows so that it's subtle but visible. It's really pretty easy.
Did you remove the A-pillar to install it in the defroster vent? I just don't see how to run the wires up through the defroster vent without taking the A-pillar off. I tried for a while to take the A-pillar off, but had no luck. Any ideas?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Did you remove the A-pillar to install it in the defroster vent? I just don't see how to run the wires up through the defroster vent without taking the A-pillar off. I tried for a while to take the A-pillar off, but had no luck. Any ideas?
I'm sorry, I meant inside the regular a/c vents.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I'm sorry, I meant inside the regular a/c vents.
Well, I did some more searching and since my car is a t-top car, I have to take off the driver's side t-top and remove two screws, which will remove the A-pillar. I guess from there, I'll run the wiring up the A-pillar, attach the 3 wires to the shift light, put the A-pillar back on, and adjust the shift light in the defroster vent.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I did some more searching and since my car is a t-top car, I have to take off the driver's side t-top and remove two screws, which will remove the A-pillar. I guess from there, I'll run the wiring up the A-pillar, attach the 3 wires to the shift light, put the A-pillar back on, and adjust the shift light in the defroster vent.
Yes!!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Yes!!
Thanks!!! Through my search, I saw you had/have the shift light in the same location. Is there a wire I can tap into from the trunk/hatch release, or should I just use the pink wire comming off the ASR? Just figured if I could tap into on coming off the trunk/hatch release, it might be easier to route up the A-pillar.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

one thing easy about the a/c vent is you can pop the radio bezel off pretty easy to change the shift light setting. not really a big deal to remove 2 screws since you have t tops, but i change mine between classes i run. if you are just going to set it and forget it, then it doesnt matter.

its going to be bright no matter where you put it unless the sun is in your face.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TJ
one thing easy about the a/c vent is you can pop the radio bezel off pretty easy to change the shift light setting. not really a big deal to remove 2 screws since you have t tops, but i change mine between classes i run. if you are just going to set it and forget it, then it doesnt matter.

its going to be bright no matter where you put it unless the sun is in your face.
I plan on just setting it and not messing with it until I change builds.

I guess I can run the wire extension off the "pink" wire on the ASR under the driver's side pannel and up the A-pillar? That is the plan for now. When I get home from work tonight, I'm going to get the A-pillar off and see what I've got to work with.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Through my search, I saw you had/have the shift light in the same location. Is there a wire I can tap into from the trunk/hatch release, or should I just use the pink wire comming off the ASR? Just figured if I could tap into on coming off the trunk/hatch release, it might be easier to route up the A-pillar.
Hey! That's right. It's been long enough that I don't exactly remember how I wired it. I do know that I didn't use the trunk though. I would guess that I wired it off the radio.

If there is a keyed 12v for the trunk popper, that would be by far the most simple. Taking the pillar off is a piece of cake. To hold the shift light, cut the fins off the defrost vent and it will snug up perfectly.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

pretty much any pink wire with a black stripe on it is going to be 12v+. whichever loom you can tap into easily.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TJ
pretty much any pink wire with a black stripe on it is going to be 12v+. whichever loom you can tap into easily.
I saw a few pink wires under the driver's side pannel, but I think I'm just going to use the pink wire comming off the ASR. I've still got a few more supplies to get, but I've got everything taken apart, so it shouldn't take long. I think the best route will be to run the tack wire down the A-pillar, under the driver's side and passenger's side pannels, through the fire-wall and to the PCM tack 10 wire. I just don't see how I can run the wire up the A-pillar, so I'm going to do it in reverse.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I saw a few pink wires under the driver's side pannel, but I think I'm just going to use the pink wire comming off the ASR. I've still got a few more supplies to get, but I've got everything taken apart, so it shouldn't take long. I think the best route will be to run the tack wire down the A-pillar, under the driver's side and passenger's side pannels, through the fire-wall and to the PCM tack 10 wire. I just don't see how I can run the wire up the A-pillar, so I'm going to do it in reverse.
I just wired one to my Z06 this year. I used the tach wire that was under the dash by the gauge cluster instead of the PCM. Saves passing a wire through the firewall. Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I just wired one to my Z06 this year. I used the tach wire that was under the dash by the gauge cluster instead of the PCM. Saves passing a wire through the firewall. Just a thought.
In my case, that would be a "white" wire, correct? That would make things much easier.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Update: Got it all setup last night. I ran all the wires down the A-pillar first, as opposed to trying to run them up the A-pillar (didn't see how that would be possible). Anyway, it all turned out great. I haven't had a chance to test it out on the highway yet, but when I programed the light for the desired number of cylinders and the desired RPM's, it flashed back the correct numbers, so I think I'm golden. I love the way it looks in the defroster vent. I just cut the fins out of the vent cover and slid the shift light through the hole and placed the cover back where it originally was. The cover holds the light perfectly. I do think I'm going to look for a rubber grommet to go over it though, as I think that looks even better.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Update: Got it all setup last night. I ran all the wires down the A-pillar first, as opposed to trying to run them up the A-pillar (didn't see how that would be possible). Anyway, it all turned out great. I haven't had a chance to test it out on the highway yet, but when I programed the light for the desired number of cylinders and the desired RPM's, it flashed back the correct numbers, so I think I'm golden. I love the way it looks in the defroster vent. I just cut the fins out of the vent cover and slid the shift light through the hole and placed the cover back where it originally was. The cover holds the light perfectly. I do think I'm going to look for a rubber grommet to go over it though, as I think that looks even better.

What wires did you tap into????
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Not the best pic but you can see where I put mine.

Quick Reply: Raptor shift light